34- Losing Landon

“Layla! What’s wrong?” I ran over to her and gave her a big hug. I usually don’t hug her, but I could tell she needed it. She couldn’t stop crying to respond, so I didn’t bother asking again. After about a minute of letting her sob, she began to slow down the tears.

“W-well, when I woke up this m-morning,” she paused and sniffled, “I went downstairs in the kitchen, a-and my mo-mother was crying.” She put her head down and let a tear fall.

“W-why was she crying Lay? Your mom never cries!” I guess I wasn’t really helping, but she did answer.

“She didn’t really tell me, all she did was point up the stairs to my brother’s room, so I went up there.” She paused, wiping the tears from her face, “I-I walked in and saw it.” She paused, yet again.

“What did you see?” I anxiously asked, and as I did, my gym teacher called us to get inside. I left Layla and walked over to my teacher and explained what was happening. She told us to walk with her to the nurse’s office where Layla could properly tell someone. 

“Okay, Ms. Rhineheart. Could you tell me what happened this morning?” My gym teacher asked her. Layla explained to her what had happened up until the part she got to while telling me.

“I-I saw,” she paused, her voice breaking up, “the noose.” she began sobbing. I got up and hugged her and let her cry on my shoulder, where I began to cry as well. “a-and the chair, it was on th-the floor.” The nurse had gotten up and hugged her as well as the gym teacher.

“Alright Layla, what did your parents do about this?” The nurse asked calmly, hoping for an answer.

“W-well my mom was crying in the kitchen,” she looked up at everyone, “and I think my dad went to the hospital with Landon.” The nurse told Layla that she could stay in the nurse’s office all day if she needed to, and that I could keep her company. “No, I want to go to class, I don’t want to fall behind, especially since the wake and the f-funeral is coming up.” She began to sob again, as did I.

“Alright, but you come to the nurse’s office if you need any help, or just want to get away.” My gym teacher told her, and she nodded. We both looked at each other, then wiped our tears away. Then, we got up and went back inside to the gym, where Isabel was playing basketball with a few friends. She noticed us walk in and ran up to Layla and I.

“Hey, how are you doing?” She calmly asked her, and Layla just nodded. She, then walked over to her class and motioned to me that she was going to be okay. I waved goodbye to Layla then turned back at Isabel. “So what happened?” She anxiously asked me.

“H-her brother,” I paused and looked down as I felt a tear begin to fall. “H-he commit su-” I couldn’t finish the word, it was just too hard. I don’t know how Layla was able to say it. Isabel’s face drew a blank when I told her the terrible news.

“W-what? H-how? Wh-why?” she stuttered, begging for an answer. After I explained the scene to her, she didn’t know what to do. Then, my gym teacher came over to us and told us to continue playing basketball. Layla’s class was going to join us in class today, so she stayed by Isabel and I.

I motioned for them to come closer because I had good news. “To, hopefully, brighten up the day, Niall texted me with some good news this morning.” I explained to them. “He said that Simon approved the parody recording!” Layla cheered in joy, but Isabel looked confused, so I filled her in on everything.

After School

I texted Layla right after my last class asking if she wanted to hang out, to keep her mind off of things, but she denied it. However, after about ten minutes of being home, I had gotten a call from her. She was crying, almost uncontrollably this time, to the point where I couldn’t understand her. I told my mom I needed to go over her house and she drove me there.

When I got there, I didn’t even knock or ring the doorbell, I just walked right in. Ain’t nobody got time for that. “Layla? It’s me Skylar!” I yelled throughout the house, and I heard footsteps coming from the kitchen, it was Layla’s mom.

“Hi Mrs. Rhineheart, is Layla here?” I asked politely as she led me into the kitchen. I saw Layla sitting at the table, phone in one hand, and what seemed like a letter in the other.

“Hi Skye.” Layla looked up and said. “What’re you doing here?” Her voice was as calm as ever, but why? 

“You were crying, a-and I wanted to make sur--” I stopped talking because I was confused. “Are you alright Lay?” I nervously asked, but awaited the answer. She just looked me in the eyes and handed me a paper. I felt my stomach drop and my eyes begin to burn as I read the first line. It was Landon’s suicide note.