Alice

She always appears at the shittiest times.
I was balancing on my mattress, trying to tack up a flag of Great Britain. If Amelia insisted on her obnoxious, overly patriotic poster of the Stars and Stripes on the ceiling, then I sure as hell was going to put up my country's flag. She had been annoyed at first and told me that it was "tyranny to put up a British flag when there's a fucking amazing American one already up," then just gave up and went to go get my throw pillows that were still in my former room. Good. She better put herself to use.
I had almost finished with the fourth thumbtack when I heard the door slam open. The pin fell into the palm of me hand, and I closed my fingers into a fist before I realised what I was holding.
"Holy fuck!" I screeched, immediately throwing the thumbtack onto the ground. I'd hate when I had to find that later. Laughter came from the doorway, and I whipped around to see evil in its true form.
"Having a bit of trouble there?" Fran chirped, a smile stretching across her face. She was leaning against the doorframe, her arms crossed and her head tilted to the side. "Why on earth are you putting up a British flag? You've lived in America almost your entire life. You barely even have the accent anymore."
I glared at her. "Why are you such a pretentious prick all the time?"
"Touché." Fran pushed herself away from the wall and strolled into the room. It was as if each step she took was precisely coordinated, and she practically glided across the floor. If I were like any of the boys that constantly drooled over her, I'd find her gracefulness extremely attractive. Unfortunately for her, all I saw was her horrible attitude that was as annoying as a stick up my ass, if not worse. "So you and the love of your life are living together now?"
I narrowed my eyes. "She's hardly that. We're just roommates." Despite the stoic facade I tried to put up, I could feel my face burn at her words. I'd probably called Amelia that once or twice when I was wasted, but hearing it from Fran's mouth was mortifying. "Why are you even here?"
Fran shrugged. "Boredom. Intrigue." I raised my eyebrows. "I could hear Amelia pushing your things around from across the building."
"Ah."
She smiled slightly. "So what exactly do you plan on doing about your little crush on Amelia?"
I glanced over her shoulder at the hallway in a panic. "Don't talk so loud!" I hissed. Fran just looked at me expectantly. I sighed in defeat and shook my head. "I don't know," I admitted. "It's not like I can just tell her that I'm in love with her."
"Why not?" Fran frowned, her usual, annoying smirk fading away into a caring side she rarely showed. "You love her, you're wasting so much of your energy on her, so you deserve the right to be able to tell her."
I felt a little touched by how much she seemed to care. Not like I would ever let Fran know that I was happy about that. "It isn't that simple, Fran."
She looked unconvinced. "I have to hear you whine about her every single day, even when we have sex. I think you should just tell her already."
I threw a pillow at her. "She could hear you, you dumbfuck!" My heart raced at the thought of Amelia knowing. Her finding out. She wouldn't understand.
Fran sighed in exasperation. "Sex doesn't have to mean anything, right? Aren't you the one that says that?"
I hesitated. "Yes..."
"Then why does it matter? Are you embarrassed to be with me like that?"
I bit the inside of my cheek. I don't love Fran, and there was no way she could love me. What was there to even be embarrassed about? I just liked having sex. Liked it a little too much. "No," I said finally. "Sex doesn't mean a damn thing."
I could've sworn she looked disappointed. "Then it doesn't matter, does it?"
Before I could've said anything, Amelia popped her head around the corner and into the room. "Heya, Alice? Where'd you say you wanted me to put your-" she finally noticed Fran. Amelia was clueless to everything. She didn't know a single thing about me and Fran. As far as she knew, we were frenemies. Nothing else. "Oh, hi, Franny. What's up?"
Fran plastered her fake smile back onto her face. "Ah, not much, Amelia. I was just going to offer to help move our pleasant little Alice into her new home."
My stomach twisted. I shot her a look to try and say what the fuck is wrong with your head, but Fran was intentionally avoiding my gaze. "Oh, cool," Amelia said, her face lighting up. "That would be sweet, man. She has a hell of a lot of shit packed in her room."
I rolled my eyes. "Not as much shit as you have."
Amelia grinned up at me. "Well at least I don't have your dumbass flag hanging over my bed."
I jumped off my bed and walked past her, pushing her shoulder when I was close enough. Amelia just laughed and followed behind me.
I had no idea what Fran was up to.
There was no way she was just trying to be nice.
Whatever the issue, I did have a lot of stuff I needed in my room.
Like, a lot.