See the stars

If you want to skip straight to the song, skip to 2:05.

"The weight
Of a simple human emotion
Weighs me down
More than the tank ever did.
"

Marinette knew exactly what she was about to do. She was setting up her newest friend, Lila, who turned out to be actually an amazing girl, with her long-time crush, Adrien. She would be good for him, now that she turned around and changed for the better. Honestly, she was trying hard not to cry.

"The pain
It's determined and demanding
To ache, but I'm okay...
"

But... if Lila liked Adrien, and Adrien liked Lila, then who was she to stand in their way? Alya was worried about her, but she had shrugged it off, saying she's fine. This was good. She couldn't spend her life pining after Adrien, and anyway, most high school relationships don't last as long as you want them to.

"And I don't want to let this go
I don't want to lose control
I just want to see the stars with you.
"

Piano keys were gently being pressed, playing a melancholy melody. An angelic voice sang, filled with emotions and turmoil. Blue eyes remained dry.

"And I don't want to say goodbye
Someone tell me why
I just want to see the stars with you
."

And it was true. All she wanted was to see the stars, like she did when she was Ladybug, high on a rooftop or on the very peak of the Eiffel Tower, close enough to reach for a star that was an endless distance away. Almost like her relationship with Adrien, honestly. She should give up. He was a star, seeming so close, yet so far away, and Lila had the means to get there, but not herself.

"You lost, a part of your existence
In the war, against yourself
Oh, the lights,
They light up in lights of sadness
Telling you, it's time to go
."

She knew, too. She always knew. She knew he was pining after Ladybug but was giving up on her, she knew he was Chat Noir. She wasn't blind, much as she didn't want to admit that the flirty Chat Noir was the sweet Adrien Agreste. But Lila wouldn't have to deal with that. She liked him, just as Marinette did, and so, the more insecure one of the two would give up.

"And I don't want to let this go
I don't want to lose control
I just want to see the stars with you
."

All those nights she spent with him as Chat, running through the night, jumping across rooftops, all that would be forgotten. He had told Ladybug frequently that if he dated a girl, a civilian, he would quit being Chat Noir to be fair to her. And she knew he would be giving up his freedom. He was just that kind of person.

"And I don't want to say goodbye
Someone tell me why
I just want to see the stars with you
."

She didn't want to let go, but she had forced herself to give herself no other choice. Adrien's happiness would always be more important than her own - anyone's happiness would always be more important than hers. She would survive, she was strong enough, she was sure of it. But was everyone else strong enough?

"Don't give it up just yet stay grand
For one more minute, don't give it up just yet
Stay grand
."

She knew she would have had to give it up one day.

"Don't give it up just yet stay grand
For one more minute, don't give it up just yet
Stay grand
."

She was going to leave the day he would show up to say he would be quitting. After all, Lila had caught his eye, even if it was because of Marinette trying her hardest to make Lila be a better person. Eventually, he had taken to her just as easily as he took to Nino. It hurt a little, but that was okay. As long as Lila and Adrien were happy.

"Don't give it up just yet stay grand
For one more minute, don't give it up just yet

Stay grand."

Later. She would figure out what to do later. Now she had to focus on how to get Lila and Adrien confess their feelings for each other.

"And I don't want to let this go
I don't want to lose control
I just want to see the stars with you
."

The melancholy notes, the sad song, it was all too true. Damn Troye Sivan for hitting the nail right on the head right when she needed it.

"And I don't want to say goodbye
Someone tell me why 
I just want to see the stars with you."

She didn't want to say goodbye. Not ever.

"With you."

Only with Adrien.

But for Lila, she would let that all go.

The next night, Lila and Adrien are dating.

She stood on a rooftop, high above everything, so close to the stars, watching her city. Chat was 5 or so metres away from her, facing her while she was facing out. Lights flickered across both their faces, faint noises of cars floated up from the streets below.

"Milady, I have news." Chat Noir said nervously. Ladybug knew what was coming, so she cut him off before be could begin.

"Adrien, you don't have to tell me, I know." Her quiet voice caused his ears to prick and his iridescent green eyes to widen. "I've always known. Your identity, Lila, even your father and your dreadful loneliness. You know one of your own." She let a light, sad laugh escape her mouth. Tears escaped her eyes and she wiped them away quickly, furious at herself for letting herself break. "I myself am lonely, but nowhere near as much as you." 

Swallowing, she kept her gaze on the city, away from those eyes that bore into her soul. 

"As long as you're happy, Adrien. That's all I've wanted. If she makes you happy, don't feel bad for the heartbroken girl who set up her friend with her crush simply because she wanted to see you smile genuinely for once. Smile. She'll know it was worth it, because you'll be happy, and you'll smile, and she wasn't the one who made you smile but she's happy it's there anyway."

He stood, shocked, as the heroine finally turned to face him. He was surprised to see her face was streaked with tears, and her bluebell eyes reflected too easily the lights of the city.

"Ignore that girl with raven black hair and bluebell eyes, because although she loves both sides of you, you don't love her back."

And with that final whisper, she leaped away, leaving him to yet again.

Only this time, it was for good.

That was painful to write. Literally, my heart broke. Here's your one-shot, I'll publish some more on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.