Waiting For Superman

She's talking to angels. She's counting the stars.

Marinette always stayed up late nowadays. Her time as Ladybug had completely altered her sleeping schedule, so when she didn't have patrol or an akuma to deal with, she sat up on her balcony, knowing she'd never get to sleep anyway. She just sat and looked up at the stars, sometimes talking to Tikki, or... talking to the stars.

Making a wish on a passing car.

She believed heavily in wishes, after all, she had wished she could be more confident and here she was with the secret identity of Ladybug. Every evening, she would look up, and find the first star in the sky. And she would wish.

She's dancing with strangers.

Marinette would always wish for the same thing. And no, it wasn't for Adrien to love her, as shocking as that was. It was for something far greater, something beyond herself, something selfless and heroic and kind. Every night, she would wish with all her heart, and then she would work to make that wish come true.

Falling apart.

She wished for the citizens of her city to not have to live in fear for long, for them to be safe and away from the powers of Hawkmoth. She wished for them to no longer need Ladybug and Chat Noir, not because she no longer wanted  the role, but because she hated the fear in their eyes when an akuma showed up. She despised even more the man who made that fear.

Waiting for Superman

And other times, when she didn't wish upon a star, she would see a ladybug and wish for them to not be disappointed when they found out she was Ladybug.

To pick her up

She wished for Chat Noir to be a good person under the mask, and for him to like her as she truly was.

In his arms, yeah.

She wished for her family's happiness and safety, as well as that of Alya.

In his arms, yeah.

She wished for Adrien's happiness.

Waiting for superman.

And finally, she wished for the next Ladybug to be better than she ever could've been.

Marinette sat there, on a clear night, counting the stars as they flickered, and spoke softly, as if she were conversing with the bright blinking lights.

"I wonder if you watch us the way we watch you. You might be disappointed in humanity. that's okay, I am too, in part." She chuckled quietly. "So absorbed in themselves, in their technology, in their accomplishments, not bothering to see that the world is a lot worse than they think it it. But you wouldn't know about that, would you? You're a star." She took a sip from the warm hot chocolate, watching the steam curl lazily up in the air. "But... I wonder. Do you hear our wishes? Do you watch our dreams and know all our secrets and desires and fears?"

Tikki had flown out, and was just watching her holder. Marinette had her quirks, and this was a questionable one, but it was... thought provoking to see what she talked about with the stars. Unbeknownst to both Tikki and the blue-haired girl who sat gazing up at the heavens, a certain cat boy was also watching his Princess, wondering about these habits.

"Do you know what I dream of? Do you know what all these people dream of in the Parisian night? Do you know my darkest fears, my greatest desires, my most hidden secrets?" She once again let out a chuckle. "Most civilians would think my most hidden secret is the fact that I'm their favourite heroine, but no, it goes deeper than that. Not even Tikki knows my greatest secret. And I'm going to keep it that way until they come for me."