Kitty's Defender

In which Adrien is a jerk, which is as hard for me to write as it is for you to read, so refrain from yelling in outrage please!

Warning, swearing and foul language used. Innocent children run.

They didn't have lessons that day, so of course, everyone was talking about the miraculous duo. Practically everyone was unfairly saying Ladybug was so much better, and Marinette lost it when Alya called him her 'sidekick'.

"What did you call Chat?" She said through clenched teeth. Alya obviously didn't notice her anger, and neither did Adrien, but Nino did and he mouthed an 'Oh shit.' Oh shit is right.

"I said Chat Noir's Ladybug's sidekick. I mean, she can do anything by herself, Chat's usually the distraction. Back me up here, boys." She was tapping on her phone, not looking at Marinette's now furiously flaming eyes.

Adrien nodded. "She's right, Marinette. Ladybug is amazing, she doesn't need Chat Noir. If anything, he just annoys her." Nino remained smartly silent as Marinette slammed her hands down on the table, eye narrowed.

"Ladybug can't do half the things she does without Chat Noir. And he doesn't annoy her." She hissed, know staring directly at a startled Adrien with a very shocked Alya also staring at her.

Nino was recording.

"Come on, Mari, Chat Noir's just a joker. Ladybug could do just fine without him." Alya very stupidly tried to reason with the enraged girl. Adrien didn't understand why she was so angry. She had only met his alter-ego twice, right?

Marinette took a deep, calming breath, (which didn't work) and looked Alya dead in the eye. "Ladybug would be nothing without Chat Noir. She'd be dead. She'd be captured, Hawkmoth would've gotten her miraculous ages ago if it weren't for Chat Noir. He's her partner, and he's her best friend, and she wouldn't be here still if it weren't for him."

Adrien let anger take over him as she 'put down' Ladybug. "Yeah, well, no-one asked for your opinion." He snapped, and instantly regretted it as Marinette looked down, fists clenched and shaking. If it weren't for Nino's tiny 'oh shit' it would've been dead silent.

She let out a dry laugh that was so, so terrifying. "No-one did ask for my opinion, did they?" Her voice was quiet, yet absolutely horrifyingly uncharacteristic of her, Adrien felt sweat drip down his neck. "No-one asked for me to speak. No-one asked for me to be here, either. No-one asked for me to try, to be nice, to be alive."

Alya was about to speak up, but Nino slapped a hand over her mouth. When she glared at him, he looked at her with so much panic that she shut up.

"Well, guess what? Fuck you, Adrien Agreste, because I am here, I will speak, and I will defend my kitty 'til my last breath." She had leaned across the table and grabbed his collar, absolute fury in her eyes, and with such power in her voice that not even Chloe dare spoke up against her. "I don't care if you are the Mayor, say one more bad thing about my kitty and I will make sure you have a black eye and a broken nose."

And she threw him back and stalked out of the room.

Alya watched her go, a small smile on her face. "She sounds like she loves him."

Chloe nodded. "Yeah. Makes sense. Marinette's as brave as he is. I would go so far as to say they're made for each other, especially after that." Alya looked at Chloe in surprise, only to see the blond girl also staring after the blunette. Once she noticed Alya's gaze, she huffed. "What? I can be nice, even to someone like her."

Adrien sat dumbstruck. Made for each other. As brave as he is. Defend my kitty until my last breath.

Man, I really messed up.

~*~

Marinette was in her room, pacing. She knew she didn't regret anything she said, but she had directly sworn at her crush, and yelled at her best friend. "Crap, I really messed up."She muttered, running a hand through her loose hair. And then something, or someone, knocked on her window. She glanced up to see Chat Noir at her window. "Chat Noir?"

Once he was let in, he swept her into his arms and stayed there, face pressed into the crook of her neck. Once Marinette got over the shock, she wrapped her arms around him too, nuzzling her face into his chest. She didn't notice she was crying until tears slipped down her face.

"Chat, they- they kept saying you were nothing, th-they said she was so much better than you, they, they said you were nothing but a joke and I-I c-couldn't let them say those awful things about you and I messed up and yelled at them but I don't regret anything and I left, and-" She cut herself off with a sob and buried her face in his chest, gripping at him, desperate to make him stay.

He gently lifted her chin to make her look into his eyes. "I know, and I need to say thank you. It means a whole lot more to me than you'll ever know that someone cares." 

She smiles as he wipes her tears away. "You're my knight in shining leather, and while I am but your Princess, I'll defend you when I can. I'll be kitty's defender, happily, as long as you keep being you." 

~*~

The next day, Adrien apologised profusely for his behaviour, and so did Alya. Marinette ad waved them off, saying she had a special place in her heart for that cat and was very protective. That warmed Adrien's heart, and that warmth stayed with him all day.

And as Chat Noir, he brought her a dozen white roses and kissed her.

Whether they knew it or not, her kitty and his Princess were made for each other. And for once, Tikki and Plagg watched their holders have a happily ever after fit for a fairy tale.

Well, not your average fairy tale, because to this day, his Princess had also been dubbed Kitty's Defender.

DAW THAT ENDING WAS TOO CHEESY AND CUTE I THINK I GAVE MYSELF FEELS