Battleships

I'm sinking inside
And the masts and lines are broken down tonight.
I swallow my pride
But we're drowning in the ocean and it's tearing my heart open

Marinette had left their apartment again, frustrated and tears streaming down her face. She headed down the familiar road to Alya's house, which by now always had a blanket and pillow set out for her to crash on the couch. Adrien went too far too often.

Baby, we're high then we're low, first it's yes then it's no, and we're changing like the tides
Yeah, but I want you, I need you, and I guarantee you we'll make it out alive  

He used her past against her. Her past as Ladybug, her past with him, her past with Chloe. He yelled. He growled. He twisted her words. He never touched her though, but still, he hurt her.

'Cause I don't wanna fight no more,
Even when the waves get rough
I don't wanna see the day we say we've had enough

And every time she turned up on Alya's doorstep with just the clothes on her back and a tear-streaked face and blood-shot eyes, Alya would take her in with open arms and tell her to just leave. Ask her what she was holding on for. Say it's not coming, because this has been going on for a year.

And I don't wanna fight this war
Bullets coming off our lips
But we stick to our guns and we love like battleships.
Like battleships.

Marinette would always answer with a shrug, saying she's thinking it over, but she'd never leave him. Because while they fought, there were also the best times they ever had. Together.

Boom, ba-boom, boom, ba-boom, boom, boom

And the cannon goes
Boom, ba-boom, boom, ba-boom, boom, boom
And the cannon goes  

When she came back, whether it was after a night or a week, he'd open the door with an almost identical look to how she'd come to Alya's, blood-shot eyes, hair a complete mess, lines that tears wove down his cheeks. He'd envelop her in a hug and sob, saying he's sorry, so so sorry, he never meant to say that, he never meant to hurt her again. He didn't want to lose her. Not after losing his mother, losing a loving family, losing Nino in a car crash.

Bombs fly through the air
And I know that we're both playing not so fair.
Oh, show, show me you care
I got my white flag up and it's waving 'cause you know this love's worth saving, baby.  

She hold him as he sobbed and gently tell him to go shower, and she'd help him clean up, and they'd go out for coffee, and stroll through Paris, reminiscing about old times. He'd shower her with cheesy lines and gifts, his form of apologizing, trying to get her to forgive him, even though she already did. In a way, he was also thanking her. Thanking her for coming back.

We're high then we're low, first it's yes then it's no, and we're changing like the tides
Yeah, but I want you, I need you, and I guarantee you we'll make it out alive

They'd always fix it before it came crashing down again the moment night fell and Marinette was dead on her feet from working and Adrien wanted her to do something.

'Cause I don't wanna fight no more,
Even when the waves get rough
I don't wanna see the day we say we've had enough  

She'd never leave him, she couldn't if she tried. He was still too raw from Nino's death after his neglected childhood. He had said she was the only thing in his life that kept him here, kept him alive. 

And I don't wanna fight this war
Bullets coming off our lips
But we stick to our guns and we love like battleships.
Like battleships.

She never wanted to lose him. She never ever wanted to be the cause of a man like him to be gone from this world.

Boom, ba-boom, boom, ba-boom, boom, boom
And the cannon goes
Boom, ba-boom, boom, ba-boom, boom, boom
And we love, yeah we love

Because she knew he cared, he cared far too much, he doubted himself and thought he was nothing and none of her words would heal that but he cared immensely about her. When she was broken down because a model was being particularly bitchy, or someone had said something that hit her hard, and if she ever snapped at him or raised her voice, he'd drop whatever he was doing and be at her side, holding her while she sighed and let everything out. 

I'm sinking inside
Can we finally put our weapons down tonight?

Suddenly, Marinette stopped. Turned on her heel. Headed back. After all, Alya had been needing more sleep, and wouldn't appreciate being woken up in the middle of the night again.

'Cause I don't wanna fight no more,
Even when the waves get rough
I don't wanna see the day we say we've had enough

She walked up every step, every flight of stairs, right in front of the door, which was unlocked as you left it. She opened it quietly to see Adrien curled up on the couch, sobbing. She listened as he berated himself harshly, telling himself that he wasn't worth her, he didn't deserve her.

And I don't wanna fight this war
Bullets coming off our lips
But we stick to our guns and we love like battleships.
Like battleships.

"Do you really think of yourself like that?" She said quietly, but loud enough for him to hear. His head shot up, green eyes wild with worry and upset and desperation. She took a few steps closer. "Do you really think... you don't deserve me?"

Boom, ba-boom, boom, ba-boom, boom, boom
And the cannon goes  

"Adrien... I never thought I deserved you when you asked me out.

When we revealed our identities.

When we got this apartment."

Boom, ba-boom, boom, ba-boom, boom, boom
And the cannon goes  

"I thought... I wasn't enough.

Because I was... I am clumsy, naive, insecure Marinette."

Boom, ba-boom, boom, ba-boom, boom, boom
And the cannon goes  

Adrien watched as she hugged her shoulders, sighing and looking at the floor. He got up and approached her, closing the distance between them slowly. "Marinette... you really thought that?"

Boom, ba-boom, boom, ba-boom, boom, boom
And we love like battleships.

"I love you, Princess. More than life itself. You know that, right?"

"I love you too. And I'll never leave you unless you want me to."

"I'll never want you to leave."