picking up the pieces

I get the distinct feeling y'all are gonna hate me for this one... heheheh... no regrets

"Marinette!"

At her name being called, Marinette's head snapped up from where she had previously been staring off into space at her set of notes, which was depressingly short. She, Nino and Adrien were all over at Alya's to work on a history project, which was heart-stopping to think about already, had a storm not rolled in and pounded them with winds and rains far too dangerous to be out in. Hence their current situation being a sleepover at Alya's. 

Marinette was two heartbeats away from having a panic attack. But whenever she tried to protest to Alya, she wouldn't listen, driven on getting Adrien and her together.

"Sorry, Alya." She sighed, slouching as if a tonne of bricks had been placed on her shoulders. She rubbed slightly at her eyes and continued to focus on her slow breaths, while also researching.

"Seriously, what's up with you lately? You keep zoning out - come on, we'll never get this done!" Alya scolded, the playful glint in her eyes dispersing over the occurrences of this happening.

"Sorry." Marinette mumbled once more, the black hole inside her swelling and growing once more, eating at her thoughts and heart. 

She couldn't bear to meet Adrien's gaze. She couldn't bear to see what was undoubtedly an equally annoyed expression, she couldn't handle the off-put glare in his mesmerising emerald eyes. She couldn't- wouldn't force herself to burden the dislike he had for her.

After all, he liked Ladybug.

Ah, Ladybug. The wonderful curse. Such power with her miraculous, and a chance to be someone else behind a mask while still saving the day. Dedicated, intelligent, agile, strong, beautiful, she was renowned across Paris and possibly further as being the most eligible hero in the city of love. Those who didn't admire her, adored her. Spots were a huge trend in fashion because of her, she even had a statue dedicated to her and her partner.

But... nobody appreciated Marinette the way they did Ladybug. And with the knowledge that one day, Ladybug would disappear... would they ever remove her from that pedestal?

Even her beloved Adrien, her beloved Chat Noir had fallen for the masked woman instead of the girl beneath. 

Was it so bad to want some recognition?

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng!"

Oh no.

"I don't know why you keep zoning out, but if you keep doing so, we'll never get this done! This is worth 20% Marinette, this is important, and like hell I'm going to let you ruin it for the rest of us!"

Ruin it. I'll ruin it. I ruin everything. I'm an inconvenience, I'm worthless. I can't do anything right. I'm wrong. I'm a mistake. I shouldn't be here.

Eyes stinging and heart threatening to rip its way out of her chest, throat constricting and tightening and tightening until she couldn't breathe, knees shaking and body trembling as if cold yet sweating and dizzy, Marinette stood up, her small amount of things in her arms and began to leave.

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?!" Alya's fury hadn't trickled away yet. Shame.

"Seeing as I'm nothing more than a hindrance here, how about I complete the work at home and email it to you? After all, I have all weekend, and I'm sure you'd like to play some games." Her voice was quiet and shaky, as weak as she felt. 

"Marinette, it's too dangerous to go out! Didn't you hear the news?" Adrien forever being the voice of reason had jumped up to race after her as she slowly descended the stairs.