Chapter 3

The next day Adam walked up to Danny's doorstep like he had every morning before. Danny walked out just as Adam was about to knock.

"Hey," Danny smiled.

"Hey," Adam replied. They began to walk towards school.

"How'd it go with your dad?" Danny asked.

"It went fine. He didn't really say anything to me," Adam explained.

"Good," Danny said. Martha came running up to them when they got to the school.

"Hey guys," she said, waving at Adam.

"Hi Martha," Adam mumbled.

"I'm free after school if you want to hook up," she suggested, winking at Adam.

"I thought we'd already talked about this. I don't like you anywhere near that way," Adam explained.

"Well why not?" she asked.

"I just don't!" Adam yelled.

"Why's it mean so much to you?" Danny asked

"It just does!" she exclaimed, her eyes narrowing as she glared at him.

"Well if he doesn't want to then don't force him. Besides, how's Randy going to feel about you dating Adam?" Danny questioned

"Who cares about Randy? Besides, it's just sex so who cares?" Martha explained.

"Well I'm not going to get beat up just because you're in the mood," Adam countered.

"Come on Adam. Let's go talk to Rita," Danny suggested.

"Everyone wants me Danny. Don't make him deny his true feelings," she replied slyly.

"I don't want you," Danny stated, a smug look on his face.

"That's only because you're gay," Martha hissed, a deadly smile forming on her face.

"What?" Danny gasped, his smile fading into a face of pure fear.

"You heard me," Martha replied, her voice low and scary.

"Danny?" Adam asked, as if the accusation had given him a disease.

"How do we know you're not his lover." Martha snapped, her eyes flashing in anger. Adam slinked back. His emerald eyes were terrified.

"I-I'm not!" Adam yelled. Martha laughed as she sashayed away. People began to turn around to look at the two wide-eyed boys. The bell rang but Danny couldn't force himself to move. The shock of what Martha had just done hit him like a hammer and he felt like he couldn't breathe. He felt everyone's eyes on him.

"Danny?" Adam asked, his voice low and soothing.

"Yeah?" Danny choked out, his voice barely a whisper.

"Do you want to skip first period?" Adam suggested. Danny nodded, relieved that Adam would skip class with him. Adam smiled and sat on a bench underneath the large willow tree on the side of the school. Danny sat next to him, longing to reach out and hold onto him for the fear of what his life would be like now. "It's o.k. Danny."

"What is?" Danny asked, sure that nothing would be ok.

"If what Martha said is true," Adam replied, looking at Danny with a questionable look.

"Aren't you worried?" Danny questioned.

"About what?" Adam asked, confused.

"You could get hurt, and our group...they'll all leave," he reminded Adam.

"You're my friend, no matter what," Adam explained, holding up the friendship bracelet they had made as kids.

"You kept that?" Danny was astonished. He hadn't expected Adam to keep the small trinket.

"Yeah. I uh..actually never took it off," Adam replied, his face turning red, "Well except to shower and the dishes and stuff." Danny chuckled, smiling at Adam's embarrassed expression. Danny wanted nothing more than to reach out and hold Adam tight, and nothing hurt more than knowing he couldn't.