Part 2 - Chapter 12

Adam had recovered from the stomach bug. He had missed almost two weeks of work but, thankfully, he still had a job when he recovered. He was back and ready to work. He did every task with no protest and he did it as quick as he could. He could do this. He could change. He knew he could. He already had. If he just kept pushing himself, he could be the man his father wanted to be.

He planned to go to college and become a lawyer, or at least something that would make his father proud. Maybe he could be a doctor or a writer. The possibilities were endless. He had to become something. The self-loathing screw-up was getting old.

He finished up at work and headed home. He had cleaned up a bit and it looked amazing. Well, amazing enough for only having a couch and TV stand. He flopped on the couch and smiled to himself. This was perfect. He was catching up on rent. He had enough to eat. He also had enough to pay off his bank debts. Things were going his way, finally.

He recalled the days events. Today he'd been cursed out by an old man for giving him the wrong burger, threatened by a woman for not giving her a discount a week before the sale, and punched by a guy in the parking lot for taking the space. It had been a good day so far.

Usually work was a lot more brutal. Adam yawned and allowed sleep to engulf him. He didn't dream. That was the good part about being dead tired. You didn't dream. Adam was happiest when he didn't dream. That way, he couldn't slip again. He knew what he had to do and he vowed to do it.