Part 3 - Chapter 4

Adam lay curled up next to Danny. He turned his ring around and smiled. Mocha stretched by his feet. He had everything he'd ever wanted. So why did it feel like something was missing? He yawned and turned to face his husband who was asleep. He looked child-like when he slept. His nose twitched slightly, causing Adam to chuckle silently.

He brushed the little bit of hair out of Danny's face and tucked it behind his ear. Adam wanted to stay like this forever, tangled into Danny like nothing was going to tear them apart. Danny's eyes slowly started to open, his blue eyes shining. He smiled at Adam before a yawn took over him. Adam laughed.

"You're so adorable," Adam whispered, looking lovingly into Danny's eyes.

"Not as adorable as you," Danny smirked. Adam bent down and kissed Danny gently. Adam was grateful that it was a Saturday. They didn't have to rush to work. They could relax and spend time with each other for as long as they wanted to. "What time is it?"

"Almost noon," Adam replied, kissing Danny again.

"I have to take my medicine," Danny replied, motioning to his anti-depressants on the dresser.

"Why? Did the bad thoughts come back?" Adam asked, concerned. Some days Danny was able to smile without the medicine but other days he wasn't so lucky.

"Kind of, not as bad as usual but they're still there," Danny explained, smiling slightly at Adam. He looked sad, scared almost.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Adam suggested, kissing Danny's forehead lightly, trying to kiss the bad thoughts away. Danny sighed and buried his face into Adam's chest. "What does your mind say?"

"That I'm dreaming. That I'll wake up and you'll be gone," Danny whispered. Adam felt his warm tears fall onto his chest. He knew nothing he ever said would make Danny's mind shut up. Only the medicine could do that. Still, he felt a stab of pain in his chest. 'I did this,' he thought, 'I made him doubt everything.'

"Danny, look at me," Adam whispered. Danny looked at his husband. Tears slid down his face but he still managed to smile slightly. "Do you see this ring?" Adam held his left hand up so Danny could see the ring that framed his finger. "This means that, no matter what, I'll never leave you. I will never leave you again. I promise."

"I know," Danny smiled, crying. He pulled Adam close and held onto him for dear life.

"I love you Danny," Adam whispered, wrapping his arms around Danny.

"I love you too," Danny replied, smiling brightly.

"I'll go make breakfast," Adam suggested. Danny nodded and the two pulled apart from each other. Adam went downstairs and into the kitchen. He made eggs and bacon but was sure to cook the bacon longer than he liked since Danny liked his crispy.

"Do you want to take a walk in the park today?" Danny called from down the hall. He walked into the kitchen just as Adam was setting the table.

"Sure," Adam replied, "just sit down and eat first. I made it extra crispy, like you like."

"Awesome! Thanks baby," Danny smiled as he pulled Adam into a tight embrace. "You're the best!"

"I know," Adam chuckled as he kissed Danny's cheek. He motioned to the table and Danny sat down. Adam sat across from him and they ate breakfast together.

"Damn I love your cooking," Danny confessed. He smiled over at Adam who blushed in response. Once they were done eating, Adam started the dishes. "I'm going to get a shower. Do you want me to wait for you or are you getting in after?"

"Wait for me! I'll be done in a minute!" Adam yelled. Danny laughed in response. Adam rushed through the dishes like a cheetah. Danny started up the stairs and Adam sprinted after him, slapping his butt as he raced past him. Danny squealed in alarm and chased him up the stairs and into the bathroom. Adam started the shower as Danny pulled him close.

Adam struggled to get free, laughing like a maniac. Danny smiled, kissing his neck gently. Adam  writhed against him, shedding his clothes as fast as he could. Danny threw his pants towards the door, lifted Adam up, and carried him into the shower.

After their shower they got dressed. Adam slipped into a pair of navy blue jeans and a Nickelback T-shirt while Danny threw on a pair of black jeans and a red T-shirt. "Are you ready to go?" Adam asked. Danny nodded and smiled.

"You look good in that," he stated, looking at Adam like he was a hungry dog.

"I know. I wore it just so you can rip it off when we get home," Adam replied with a wink. Danny smiled as Adam led the way to the park down the road. There were children screaming, laughing, and climbing on all of the playground equipment. Mothers were pushing strollers down the stone path and fathers were talking to their sons about the proper way to fish. Everyone was so busy that no one seemed to notice when Danny took Adam's hand and led him down the stone path.

"There's a lot of people here today," Danny stated, looking around.

"Yeah," Adam replied, looking over at a mother teaching her baby how to use the slide. Adam smiled as he watched the baby's eyes shine when she slid down the slide towards her mother. 'This is it,' Adam thought, 'This is what was missing."