Chapter 13

"Do you like me, Danny?" Adam asked, listening to Danny's pounding heart.

"I'm sure you already know the answer to that," Danny replied quietly.

"How long?" Adam asked. Danny opened his mouth to speak but found no words. He had never expected Adam to ask him that. "Danny?"

"I-I'm not sure," Danny replied, relieved to have found his voice.

"Why didn't you say anything?" Adam demanded.

"I wasn't sure if you felt the same," Danny answered.

"I'm not sure I do," Adam explained.

"I don't want to ruin our friendship," Danny stated.

"But if you liked me, you should have told me," Adam said.

"I was scared you'd leave," Danny explained.

"But I'm still here," Adam replied.

"Are you?" Danny whispered.

"I'll always be here," Adam stated, hugging Danny tightly.

"I'm not sure what you want me to say," Danny replied.

"I don't know either," Adam said, pulling himself away from Danny.

"So what now?" Danny asked, hoping Adam would take his hand.

"I don't know," Adam confessed.

"Well, do you like me?" Danny asked. His heart seemed to stop as Adam opened his mouth to answer. Adam moved forward slightly but stopped so suddenly that Danny wasn't sure if he'd really moved.

"I can't and I'm sorry," Adam babbled.

"You can't what?" Danny asked, trying to hide his emotions.

"Please don't make this hard," Adam begged as a tear slid down his face.

"I don't understand," Danny replied as his eyes filled with tears at the thought that Adam would never love him the way he needed him to.

"Please Danny," Adam pleaded as he cried harder.

"I don't understand! You're the one who's making it hard!" Danny cried as the kitten rushed away.

"I just can't Danny, I'm sorry. Please!" Adam begged. Danny's heart broke into a million pieces. Why couldn't Adam love him?