Part 2 - Chapter 8

Adam had heard him. He heard Danny. He had made his weekly call to Miss Foster but this time, he heard Danny. He couldn't believe it. He sounded older and his voice was softer.

Danny sounded amazing. He had gotten better. The hospital must have helped him a lot. Adam began to cry. He wanted to hear Danny's voice every day for the rest of his life. That wasn't an option.

Instead, he could hear it as an extra on a recurring phone call. Adam cried until he had forced himself to vomit. How could he bring himself to dial the number again? How could he bring himself to talk to Danny? After what he did to him, Adam was sure Danny would never forgive him.

His phone rang, causing Adam to jump. It was his boss. 'He probably wants me to come into work.' Adam thought. He wasn't going to work today. Who cares if he loses his job. He already lost everything.

Adam awoke the next day feeling sick. He didn't remember going to sleep which means he probably hadn't eaten either. He sighed and got up off the floor. No matter how he was feeling, he had to go to work.

Upon entering the McDonald's, he saw his boss. He looked annoyed.

"Adam. Go clean out the bathrooms. Some wise-ass decided to throw shit around!" His boss yelled. Adam nodded and got to work. It was disgusting in the bathrooms. He scrubbed every inch of it, hoping he'd get a raise.

"I'm all done!" Adam exclaimed. He was proud of himself for the first time in years.

"Good job. Now you can man the registers," his boss praised. She didn't seem impressed. Adam did as he was told and took orders. In his opinion, he did better today than he had in five years.

He didn't have a choice. He had to turn his life around. He'd get another job, maybe two. If he was ever going back, he'd need something to show. He was going to better himself. He was going to be the man Danny deserved.