Part 2 - Chapter 17

Matt returned home to find Danny sitting on the couch with another man. As he looked closely he could see the familiar face that Danny had painted so often.

"Adam?" He guessed. Adam nodded slowly, trying to figure out how he knew his name.

"Matt, I...I think we should talk," Danny started. Matt smiled sadly. He silenced Danny with a wave of his hand. It was alright. He knew this was going to happen eventually. He knew Adam would come back.

He walked to the bedroom closet and pulled out a small box. He handed the box to Danny.

"What is it?" He asked.

"Something you lost long ago. It's ok. I know how much you love him. You two belong together," Matt suggested. Danny was shocked.

"What? No! Matt!" Danny pleaded.

"Danny. I only want you to be happy," Matt said. He smiled. That was the only thing he ever wanted.

"But-" Danny tried. He took Matt's hand firmly. Matt shook his head. He led Danny to the couch where Adam was sitting. He took Adam's hand and placed it on top of Danny's. He held their hands together for awhile before releasing their hands and stepping away.

"Are you sure?" Adam asked, mainly to Danny.

"Positive," both Danny and Matt said. They looked at each other for a moment, each trying to burn the image into their mind. Matt smiled, reliving the past years. He wanted Danny to be happy and if another man could make him happier than he could than that was ok.

"I guess I'll be going," Matt stated as he grabbed his car keys.

"No. We'll go to my mom's. You keep the house," Danny suggested. Matt nodded.

"I'll always love you. No matter what. Just promise me you won't let him go again," Matt laughed. Danny cried and kissed Matt's cheek one last time before hurrying out the door. Matt looked at the door, wishing Danny would reappear. He loved him, more than anything. He needed Danny to be happy. Matt just hoped Adam wouldn't mess up again. He felt happy. He had allowed Danny to be happy with the man he'd always wanted. That was what love was, sacrificing your own happiness for the happiness of the other. 

"Thank you. For taking care of him," Adam stated. Matt nodded as a tear slid down his face. Adam was torn. Was he making Danny happy by tearing the two apart?

When they got to Danny's mom's house, Danny looked at the box.

"What's in it?" His mother asked. Danny shrugged and opened the box. Inside lay the blue and green bracelet he had thrown out years ago.