Chapter 9

Danny went into his room the second he got home to finish his painting. He wasn't usually allowed to paint in his room but he needed to finish the painting. He gathered all the paints and the brushes from his mom's art closet. As he sat down at the desk he visualized what he was about to paint. Immediately his hands got to work as he painted.

They seemed to know exactly what he wanted them to do without him having to think. When he had finished he looked at the time. 2:29. He smiled. 'At least I'll be able to sleep,' he thought to himself.

He looked at the familiar face that smiled back at him. It was Adam on the 'round-a-bout. They had always had a great time on the 'round-a-bout, ever since they were kids. Every day they'd go to the park and pretend that the 'round-a-bout could take them to an alternate reality. He could remember Adam playing along, as if the alternate reality was real.

Danny smiled at the memory. They were such great friends. He frowned as he remembered the one thing he forgot to paint, Adam's bracelet. The friendship bracelet they had made as kids. Sadly he thought, 'Will we ever be more than friends?'

Without a moment's hesitation, he painted the beautiful bracelet that hung on his wrist loosely. He knew that friends was all they were meant to be but it felt like his heart was snapping in two. He looked down at the painting again.

It was a beautiful painting, his first at that. He had sketched a million copies before he finally painted this one. He fell in love with it, just as he had fallen in love with Adam. All it took was a smile.