Chapter 15

The bell rang and they both went to their first class. Danny skipped every single one of his classes. Adam felt alone.

Lunch came around quicker than expected and Adam couldn't wait to see Danny again, even if he was avoiding him. Adam rushed toward the steps they usually meet on, tripping over some jerk's foot, and hitting his elbow on the floor. The hallway erupted with laughter.

"That's what you get fag!" the kid yelled as he spit onto Adam's face.

Adam wiped his face and stood up. He looked around and didn't see Danny anywhere. Adam hoped that Danny would be at the steps. Adam walked through the door and sighed when he saw Danny sitting on the steps with his sketchpad. There were pictures surrounding him and he didn't seem to notice him.

"Danny? Can we talk?" Adam asked.

"There's nothing to say," Danny replied.

"You can't be mad at me," Adam stated, looking at Danny with hope.

"I'm not mad at you," Danny replied.

"Then why won't you talk to me?" Adam asked.

"Look Adam, I've liked you forever! No matter what you did, I was always there! You left me by myself because I liked you! So why the hell do you think I won't talk to you?" Danny exclaimed.

"Danny, I left because I couldn't watch you like that," Adam explained. Danny ignored him and went back to his drawing.

Then he heard a familiar voice from the top of the stairs.

"Dude! That's the fags!" Randy yelled, looking down the stairs. Adam's eyes went wide and he scooped up his bag, ready to bolt.

"Hi Randy," Danny said with a smile.

"Hello Fag," Randy replied with a grin as he walked down the stairs to stand face to face with Danny.

"Danny, we should go," Adam said, tugging gently on his arm.

"Why Adam? The party's just started!" Randy exclaimed as he punched Danny in the face. Danny's head went back.

"Danny!" Adam screamed, his eyes terrified. Danny looked up at Adam and smiled. He sucked in his bottom lip and tasted blood. 'He busted my lip,' he thought.

"If you ever speak to me again, faggot, I'll murder you!" Randy threatened. Danny looked at Randy and nodded. Without another word Randy and his friend left the stairway. Adam bent down next to Danny.

"Are you ok?" he asked.

"Yeah. It's just my lip," Danny replied as he rose to his feet.

"It could have been worse!" Adam shouted.

"I'll be fine," Danny replied.

"I told you to run!" Adam exclaimed.

"I know," Danny replied.

"Why did you stay and make it worse?" Adam demanded.

"What's it matter?" Danny sighed.

"Danny!" Adam scolded.

"What?" Danny snapped.

"Why would you say that?" Adam asked, his voice softening.

"I have nothing to lose so I might as well stand my ground," Danny murmured.

"You could lose me!" Adam screamed.

"I don't even have you!" Danny retorted. Without hesitation, Adam grabbed a hold of Danny's collar and pulled him as close to him as possible while pressing their lips together.