Part 3 - Chapter 15

Danny was in the middle of teaching his students how to paint a bird when he got the call. Brandy was in labor. Adam was frantic, begging Danny to come to the hospital right away. Danny didn't need to be told twice. He quickly informed the principal of the birth and was quickly ushered out of the building.

He arrived at the hospital in record time. His hands were shaking as he scanned the waiting room for Adam.

"Danny!" Danny spun around to see Adam waving him over from the other side of the room.

"Is she ok?"

"Yeah. They said it'll be any minute now. She was trying to delay the labor but it got so bad she had to hurry here."

"Ok. What do we do?"

"We wait." Adam smiled up at Danny, his eyes shining brightly. Danny took Adam's hand into his own and squeezed gently.

"I love you so much Adam."

"I love you too Danny." They waited in the waiting room for hours before Brandy's mother walked through the door, her face pale and scared.

"I'm so sorry." She whispered, looking into Danny's eyes.

"What happened?" Adam shrieked, looking from Danny to Brandy's mom. Danny's eyes widened and he swung his gaze to the delivery room door.

"The baby isn't breathing. They're trying to find out what's wrong. I'm sorry."

"Oh no!" Adam started to cry as he shook more than ever. Danny held him close, fighting back his own tears.

"It'll be ok honey."

"Danny, I don't want to lose our baby!" Adam buried his head into Danny's shoulder and cried harder.

"It's ok. Just calm down." Danny's voice quivered as tears flew down his face. Both of them shook violently. Danny felt sick as he looked at the door, hoping that their baby would be ok.

Suddenly, a doctor appeared in the doorway, beckoning Brandy's mother back into the room. Adam felt like the world was ending, as if at any moment a meteor would smash into that room, obliterating them all. Danny couldn't breathe, it took everything in him to keep himself standing. Why was this happening? Why did their baby have to die? Was there anything they could do besides just stand here in fear?

After what felt like hours, Brandy's mother returned, carrying a small blue bundle in her arms. Adam let out a strangled cry as he heard the baby cry for the first time. Danny released Adam almost immediately, slightly jumping at the sound. They looked at the bundle with astonishment.

"Adam, Danny, come meet your son."