Chapter 28

A month after the engagement, Adam was still scared. He feared the day when his father would find out about him. He shook whenever he thought about it. Lucky for him, on days when he was in a near panic, Danny was there to calm him down. Danny was like a drug that Adam could take whenever he wanted. Danny didn't object whenever Adam needed to relax and get out of his own head. Today was one of those days.

He looked over at Danny, remembering what they had just done. He smiled and snuggled closer to him. Danny stretched in his sleep and touched Adam's forehead with his own. Adam heard his phone vibrate and knew it was his mom. She had been texting him every night for the past week "just to check up on him". Adam knew she just wanted to see who he was with.

She had grown very protective. It was as if his falling grades had finally begun to raise suspicion. All he had ever wanted since he was 14 was his parents' attention and he had been unsuccessful up until now. Now all he wanted was for his mother to go away.

He reached over and grabbed his phone. There he saw the message, "I know you're with him. I told you to end it months ago but you lied to me. This is your last warning. I will tell your father!" Adam looked at his phone in disbelief. His mother was supposed to be there for him but she was planning on selling him out to his father. He shook with fear.

Danny felt Adam's sudden fear and woke up as if he had been awake the whole time. "Are you ok?"

"Y-yeah," Adam stuttered as he felt himself begin to shake more violently. It became harder to breathe and the room seemed to get smaller. He was having a panic attack. Danny noticed and pulled him close.

"Hey. It's ok. Shhh....Calm down," Danny soothed. Adam began to cry. He rolled onto his side, letting his phone fall onto the floor. He buried his face into Danny's chest. "Adam what's wrong?"

"I'm so scared," Adam sobbed. Danny sat up and pulled Adam into his lap.

"What happened?" Danny asked as he rubbed Adam's back.

"My mom threatened to tell my dad," Adam replied, looking at Danny with fear.

"It'll be ok. We'll run," Danny smiled,  hoping he had succeeded in making Adam feel better.

"No. If my dad finds out he'll never talk to me again. Danny, I can't be with you if he finds out," Adam explained.

"Why not?" Danny asked.

"I just can't!" Adam cried, shaking his head.

"It'll be ok," Danny whispered. He smoothed Adam's hair and put his chin on Adam's head. "I promise it'll work out."

"I'm so sorry!" Adam sobbed. "I'm so sorry!" He repeated the words over and over again until his throat became raw.

"It's ok Adam," Danny soothed. He didn't want to lose Adam. He couldn't lose Adam. Adam remained quiet as tears leaked down onto Danny's chest. Danny wasn't sure how to make him feel better. He didn't know what to do.

Adam looked up at Danny with tears making their trail down his face. Danny's heart broke. He hated seeing Adam cry. He wiped away Adam's tears with his thumb and kissed his cheek gently.

"I love you, Adam. No one can take that from us," Danny explained, looking Adam in the eye. Adam smiled weakly and laid his head onto Danny's chest again. In no time, Adam was asleep. Danny laid down as slowly as he could, trying his best not to wake Adam.

He couldn't understand why Adam's parents were so against their relationship. It wasn't hurting anyone. Danny looked down at Adam and his heart seemed to break even more. His parents were going to destroy Adam. 

Why couldn't they see how much pain they were bringing him?