Part 2 - Chapter 14

Adam was excited. He got his paychecks and cashed them immediately. He wasn't going to pay rent, he wasn't going to buy anything. Adam was going back to Danny.

He bought a hotel room from the town before his and filled his car with gas. This was it. It was time to show everyone what he had done.

He drove for hours. It would take him a little over a day to get there. It was worth it. He would finally be able to show his dad that he can make it in this world.

Adam drove through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Montana, Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania before he finally reached his town. He was exhausted. He decided to get to the hotel and freshen up before seeing his parents.

The next morning, he walked up his old porch steps, his heart pounding. He knocked on the door and waited. It was his mother who answered. Her face was the definition of shocked. She looked as if she was seeing a ghost.

"Hi mom," he greeted.

"Adam?" She asked. Her words were lost as Adam pulled her into a tight hug. His mother didn't hug him back.

"I've missed you mom," he tried. She shook her head no.

"Your father is still inside the house. If he sees you-" she was cut off by a gruff groan as his father came into the doorway.

"I told you never to come back," his father growled. Adam slunk back a little bit but tried to regain his confidence.

"I just came to visit," he said, "I missed you guys."

"Well we didn't miss you!" his father yelled, slamming the door in Adam's face. He heard his parents arguing on the other side of the door but decided it was best to just leave.

He grew nervous. Would Danny feel the same way? He walked the rest of the way to Danny's old house. He knew Danny had to have moved away but, maybe his mother would give him the address.

He knocked quietly, unsure if it was even heard. His mouth grew dry and he started to shake. The door opened and there before him stood Danny's mom.

"Adam?" She questioned. He opened his mouth to speak but no sound came out. Instead, he just nodded. "What are you doing here?"

"I-I-I don't kn-know," Adam answered. Miss Foster smiled and hugged him tightly.

"We've all missed you," she said. Then he saw her face. She had tears falling down her face. He had made her cry. His heart, which he had tried his best to fix, began to break.

"I missed you so much," he whispered. She released him from the hug and nudged him down the stairs.

"Get going. You have to let him know you're here," she demanded. Adam felt like he would vomit.

"I don't know where he is," he said, trying to make up an excuse. Miss Foster laughed and handed him a paper. On it was Danny's cell number and house address. Adam smiled.

He was going to do it. He was finally going to see Danny. He would tell him how sorry he was and how much he loved him. Then they'd get back together. It would all work out. He adjusted his bracelet, the one they made as kids. He needed Danny to know he still loved him. For now and forever. Right?