Chapter 17

"I love you," Danny confessed, pressing their lips together. Adam was happy. He didn't care what anyone said anymore. He loved Danny and nothing was going to change that. He closed his eyes and let Danny confess his love into his mouth as their lips connected over and over.

"I know," Adam breathed. Danny's skin was hot, making Adam wonder if it was the mood or the temperature of the room. Danny was the first to break away. His eyes were gleaming like the sun on the sea. The bell rang and they decided it would be better for them to skip the rest of the day and just walk around. Danny held Adam's hand as they walked around their small town.

Danny's mind was filled with so many questions but the main one was, "Why did Adam change his mind so quickly?" He looked over at Adam who smiled at him. They must've walked around the town 100 times before Adam decided it was time to head home.

"Are you sure you don't want me to walk your home?" Danny asked.

"I'm sure. I'll call you," Adam replied.

"Ok," Danny agreed as he kissed Adam's cheek and turned the corner.Adam headed home.

"Hey fag," Randy sneered.

"Shit," Adam cursed. He was scared. How could he escape?

"Hold still," he ordered. Adam ducked as Randy's fist hit air. "I said HOLD STILL!"

"Stop! Leave me alone!" Adam yelled as he tried to run. Randy was much faster and punched him in the back. Adam fell onto the pavement and turned around only to have a fist hit him in the face.

"Don't tell me what to do!" Randy yelled.

"What did I ever do to you?" Adam asked.

"You exist!" Randy laughed as he ran off, leaving Adam on the pavement with an aching black eye. Once Randy was out of sight Adam walked the rest of the way home. His father was waiting in the living room for him.

"I want to know who you think you are!" his father demanded.

"I don't understand," Adam replied.

"I work my ass off so you can get an education and this is how you repay me, by skipping class?" his father yelled. Adam looked over at his mom who was sitting on the chair across from the couch.

"Mom?" he asked.

"Answer your father Adam," she scolded.

"Do any of you notice my eye?" Adam asked, nearly screaming in frustration.

"Are we talking about your eye? No! Now please explain why you insist on pushing my buttons!" his father screamed. Adam was red with anger. Why didn't they notice he was hurt? Why didn't they care?

"Adam answer your father!" his mother demanded.

"What's it matter? You don't care anyway!" Adam blurted. He got up and ran to his room, slamming the door hard behind him.

In an attempt to defuse his anger, he screamed into his pillow. He screamed all his doubt, all his anger, and all his fear into the pillow.

Adam stayed in his room for the rest of the night. He was angry. Why couldn't they see what was wrong?