Chapter 7

"Adam I would like to know what the hell was running through your mind and why you decided to skip school!" his father growled, his eyes full of anger.

"I only skipped English class. Besides, I read the book already. I'll pass whatever test she hands out. It's no big deal," Adam replied, looking up at his dad in fear. His father had never actually hit him but his glares were enough to send chills up anyone's spine.

"You think that makes everything ok?" his father yelled.

"As long as I pass I don't see why my attendance matters," Adam stated. He was actually having fun. This was more attention than he got in a week. 'maybe if I just keep talking like this he'll see something's wrong and try to help.' Adam thought.

"You're so fucking stupid! I didn't raise you this way! I expect you in class when I fucking send you to class! Is that understood?" his father roared. Adam looked at his dad, confused at the insult. 'Why'd he say that? I'm passing everything except math..' Adam thought sadly.

"Sure dad. Whatever," Adam mumbled.

"Now go to your room," his father said, waving his hand at Adam as if he was some annoying fly buzzing at his ear.

"But dad," Adam started, hoping he'd want to talk more.

"Go!" his father screamed. Adam sighed as he left the living room and went to his room. A few hours later his mother came to the door.

"Dinners done. Are you eating?" she asked, her voice soft like it always was after a fight between him and his dad.

"Not really. I'm not hungry," Adam replied sadly. He had been hoping someone would ask what was wrong. He needed to tell someone how confused he was about Danny. He wanted someone to say it was ok. He wanted his father to say it was ok.

"Can I come in?" she asked. Adam's face brightened. She hadn't entered his room since he was at least 13. Eagerly, he opened his door and nodded.

"What's up?" he asked, trying to be casual.

"Do you want to explain the real reason you skipped first bell?" she asked with a smirk. Adam flushed.

"I can't," he replied.

"Well what can you tell me?" she asked.

"About what?" he asked, hoping she'd change the subject.

"Friday," she replied as she looked at him with concern.

"Well Martha spread a rumor around about Danny. I was being a good friend," Adam replied, hoping she wouldn't ask anymore questions.

"Alright," his mother sighed, looking into Adam's eyes as if trying to draw out an answer she had been fishing for.

"Mom. Are you and dad still worried?" Adam asked the question he had been dying to know the answer to for years.

"About what?" she replied.

"That I still like Danny?" he questioned. He could tell by her surprised expression that the answer was yes.

"Of course not. We know you're not into boys like that. Please Adam. Don't ask weird questions like that," she laughed.

"Ok," he replied. He knew they were. Ever since that day they wouldn't look at him the way they used to. They hardly spoke to him at all. He looked away from his mother's brown eyes and laid down on his pillow.

"Why would you ask something like that?" she asked, curious.

"Nevermind," Adam said, staring at his phone on his dresser.

"Well. Anyway. Dinner is done so come eat if you're hungry," she explained before turning around and leaving Adam to his thoughts.

'I told you they hated you,' he thought to himself as he began to cry silently.