Chapter 5

Danny's breath caught in his throat. He felt his heart skip a beat as he stared into Adam's eyes.

"You have every right to be upset, but you have to let me be there when you're hurting," Adam whispered. Danny's breath caught in his throat.

"You could get hurt," Danny replied, finally finding his voice.

"It doesn't matter, as long as you're ok," Adam stated, looking Danny in the eye.

"It does to me," Danny cried as he finally stopped holding his tears back. Adam frowned and pulled Danny into a brotherly hug. Danny sobbed quietly into Adam's shoulder for what felt like ages, allowing all his fears to turn into tears being washed away by Adam's shirt.

"It'll be ok," Adam whispered.

"I highly doubt it," Danny whispered back, his voice full of despair.

"Don't doubt it. I promise it'll be ok," Adam replied. Danny, even though he didn't want to, moved away from Adam.

"I'm sorry about your shirt," he apologised, his voice wavering.

"Don't be. It's just a shirt," Adam replied, looking at Danny worriedly. He was concerned. 'I know he should be upset but...what if I can't make him ok?' he thought.

"Thank you," Danny smiled. His eyes looked pale, hollow, dead, yet Danny still managed to smile.

"Of course," Adam replied.

"Why doesn't this bother you as much?" Danny asked, suddenly confused.

"I know how to shut it out. It's a skill. You'll get used to it," Adam replied sadly.

"What did you have to learn to shut out?" Danny asked, looking directly at Adam.

"Nothing," Adam answered. 'I won't tell him. I can't tell him,' he thought.

"Boys come down for dinner!" Danny's mother called.

"We should go eat," Adam stated.

"Are you staying the night?" Danny asked, wiping his face.

"Yeah, I don't want to face my dad yet," Adam replied, walking to the door. Danny smiled, following Adam downstairs.

"Hi guys. Danny, I hope you're not going to avoid the conversation again," his mom said sternly.

"I won't Ma," Danny replied, sliding into a seat next to both his mother and Adam.

"So why'd you skip class?" she asked, dishing out mashed potatoes. "And why is your face red?"

"Well, um, there was a situation between me and Martha and it kinda spread to the whole school," Danny explained, "Martha kinda told the whole school and well, they didn't react well."

"What did she tell the school?" she asked, looking at Adam, who was silently staring at his plate.

"That I'm...well uhh...uhm," Danny replied, his voice barely a whisper.

"It's ok. You can tell me," she said, her face concerned.

"I'm gay Ma," Danny whispered barely loud enough for his mother to hear. He hung his head in defeat.

"Oh," she said, stunned, "That still doesn't explain why you skipped class."

"It just wasn't a good day, Ma," Danny explained, pushing his potatoes around with his fork. Adam looked at Danny's mom in confusion. 'Isn't she supposed to be mad?' he thought.

"Oh," she replied, nodding in understanding. Danny continued to stare at his plate for the remainder of dinner. Afterwards, the boys went to get ready for bed.

"Do you need a T-shirt?" Danny asked.

"I should be fine in this," Adam replied, looking down at his jeans and shirt. Danny retaliated by handing him a pair of sweatpants.

"You know how Ma will react to you sleeping in your jeans," Danny explained. Adam laughed as he went into the bathroom to change.

Once they were all dressed and ready for bed, Danny pulled out the trundle bed and moved it to the opposite wall for Adam to sleep on. "Your bed's ready," Danny said as he placed a blanket and pillow onto the bed.

"Thanks Danny," Adam replied as he climbed into bed. Danny watched as his friend fell asleep moments after laying down. He stared at Adam, just watching him sleep peacefully. 'He looks like a child when he sleeps,' Danny thought to himself. He had watched Adam sleep a million times before but only now did he notice how peaceful Adam looked when he was asleep. 'When he's awake he looks like he's fighting a war inside his head. What's going on up there?' Danny wondered as he yawned.

Danny laid down to go to sleep. When he slept he dreamt of running away with Adam. He woke up just before they could kiss.