Part 2 - Chapter 19

Adam looked down at his feet. He didn't know what to do. Danny looked so broken, yet so happy. Did he do the right thing by coming back? Was tearing apart an engagement the best thing he could have done for Danny?

"Adam, I'm sorry. I should have went with you," Danny whispered when his mother left the room. Chance nuzzled against his leg.

"No, you have no reason to be sorry. I never should have left. Danny, you have to realize that I was there, everyday in the hospital. I sat in the waiting room for ages, trying to force myself to sign in. I couldn't. I couldn't go in there to see what I had done to you. I did that to you. If I had never left, you never would have ended up in that hospital. I called every week to make sure you were ok," Adam rambled.

"You called?" Danny asked, shocked.

"I told your mom not to tell you. I didn't know if you were still mad. I didn't want to do anything to hurt you," Adam replied, looking at Danny with sad, pleading eyes. 'Please understand,' he thought.

"Why'd you decide to come back?" Danny asked, stepping closer to Adam.

"When I heard your voice on the other end of the phone, I felt like I was dying. It hurt so much to know I hadn't been here with you to hear your voice daily. I decided that I would be the best man I could. I took up two more jobs and got my apartment to actually look nice. I was able to provide for myself better. That's when I thought I'd be able to take care of you. I got my last paycheck and got here as fast as I could. I didn't know about Matt," Adam explained. Danny smiled and nodded his head. Adam had done everything he could to be someone worth waiting for.

"I'm glad  you came back," Danny smiled. Adam smiled back. Slowly and hesitantly, Danny leaned forward. He stopped just a few inches from Adam's lips and Adam closed the distance in no time. Their kiss was short and sweet, nothing like any kiss they'd shared before.