Chapter 19

"How did she find out?" Danny texted back as quickly as he could.

"Someone wrote, "Fag," on my mailbox and she saw it and freaked," Adam responded. Danny's heart pounded. 'Does his dad know?' he thought, looking down at his phone. As if Adam could read his mind, Danny's phone vibrated with another message. "No, my dad doesn't know."

"Thank goodness!" Danny replied, sighing with relief.

"She said I have a week to 'fix it' so...we have to lay low for awhile." Adam texted. Danny looked at his phone and smiled. He was willing to lie to his mom for him.

"Ok, we'll talk tomorrow. I have to go back to sleep." Danny texted as he laid back down.

The next day Adam walked to Danny's house with Charlie in tow.

"I just think that we should start a book club, I mean books will one day take over the world again!" Charlie explained. She always had her nose in a book. Today she was reading "The Perfect Girl."

"That sounds fun," Adam replied, knocking on Danny's door.

"I know! We could read all sorts of books! We should totally read, 'Don't Forget!'" she exclaimed.

"Yeah! Don't forget to remind me to pick up my socks!" Adam laughed, thinking his joke was anything but corny.

"You're such a dick," Charlie laughed.

"What are we talking about?" Danny asked, emerging from his house.

"Adam was just criticizing my favorite book's title," Charlie stated with a grin.

"What? Me? No, never," Adam replied sarcastically. Everyone erupted with laughter.

"You two are weird," Danny laughed.

"Are you three getting to school at any time?" Danny's mother asked from the porch as she smiled at them.

"Yes Miss Foster," Charlie replied, leading the way to school.

"Goodbye," Adam waved.

"Bye Ma," Danny smiled. Together, the three musketeers walked to school.