Chapter 4

"I kept mine too," Danny said, pulling out the blue and green bracelet from his bookbag. Adam smiled and looked at their bracelets. They were exactly the same, blue and green with a small pendant that had their names on it. It was the one thing his father couldn't yell at him for making. No one but them knew the bracelets even existed. The secret made Adam smile more.

"What are you thinking about?" Danny asked. Adam laughed silently.

"Just about us making the bracelets," Adam giggled.

"That was a fun day. I'm glad you got that kit for your birthday," Danny replied.

"Me too," Adam smiled. He looked down at his wrist at the band surrounding it. 'I'll never tell him how much this bracelet means to me,' he thought to himself.

"We have to go to next period," Danny said. Adam was surprised, he hadn't expected Danny to want to go back into class so soon.

"If you want to," he replied. Danny smiled.

"Our parents would have our heads for skipping class, let alone the whole day. We don't really have a choice," Danny explained. Before they knew it, they were sitting in second period, listening to the whispers around them. Many were accusations of him and Danny being a couple and others were just plain gay-bashing. Adam looked across the room at Danny, who had just gotten a paper plane thrown at him. Danny looked scared and Adam could do nothing to stop the terrible day that was to enfold onto them both. Adam felt helpless.

The day went on at a snail's pace. So far, Adam had been called names that he never knew of and Danny had disappeared at lunch. Adam had sat alone in the bathroom for fear of the lunch room. People had pushed them, spit on them, and called them every name in the book. Adam was thankful to enter his last class of the day, math.

"Move faggot!" a kid with golden blonde hair shouted as he pushed past Adam to enter the room. Adam knew that this year was going to be the worst year of his life.

The teacher, Mr. Blake, tapped on the board with the ruler in an attempt to settle the class down. Math was the most difficult part of the day for Adam. He sat next to Danny. Every chance he could, he would glance over at him. He would watch those blue eyes focus on the lesson. He was studious. Adam loved that about Danny.

He loved his beautiful clear blue eyes and his wavy blonde hair. Danny never let his hair get too long, it was always trimmed enough to frame his face perfectly. He wasn't supposed to love Danny, but he was sure he did. He knew it was wrong but he couldn't stop his heart from pounding every time he saw Danny. He'd never admit it though. If he did, everything would change.

Adam looked over to see a paper ball being tossed at Danny. It broke Adam's heart to see his friend being humiliated like that.

"Adam." Mr. Blake called. Adam's attention was snapped back into reality.

"Yeah?" He replied.

"See me after class please." Adam nodded and looked down at his desk. When the final bell rang the class left. The only ones left were Adam, Danny, and Mr. Blake. "Danny could you wait in the hall or something please." Mr. Blake asked. Danny nodded and went into the hall. Adam looked fearful at the door, hoping no one would hurt Danny while he was alone in the hall.

"Is there a problem Adam?" Mr. Blake asked, looking at the door as well.

"Oh, uhh...no, sorry I'm just a bit distracted," Adam replied nervously.

"You're always distracted in my class. Do you have any idea why?" Mr. Blake sat down in a chair and looked up at Adam with knowing eyes.

"Math just isn't my thing. It bores me," Adam chuckled, trying is hardest to remain calm. 'He knows that I love Danny! No! Adam, get it together. You don't love him in that way, it's a friendship kind of love and nothing more,' he thought nervously to himself.