Where'd You Go?

[Early morning. Eren's point of view.]

Chester. Please. Don't let go. I look up at him as we stand in the hallway outside of the operating room.
His voice.
"I have to. If only for a few minutes." He backs away.
I sigh and let my hands fall down to my sides, my fingers still tingling from the smooth fabric of his shirt.
He opens the door to the room,"Ladies first."
I shake my head and walk in,"Sick sense of humor."
Chester joins me by the gurney,"I know."
I numbly reach down and pick up the piece of paper by my father's head.

M. Wakefield.
Age: Thirty-two.
Sex: Male.
Eyes: Brown.
Time of death: 23:00. Dead on scene.

I sob heavily and sink to my knees, letting the paper fall to the floor, Why? Why did this have to happen?

A hand. On my shoulder.
A voice. Soft. Directly in my ear.
"You okay?"
I shake my head, my body racked by uncontrollable sobs and intense pain, "No. Chester. I'm not."
He pulls me up,"Hey. It'll be alright."
I stand there, about half dead inside.
Chester takes me in his arms, turning me away from the horrible sight.
I break down, letting the tears fall.
He smiles slightly, running his hands in circles along my back,"Go ahead and cry. It'll help you feel better."
I look up at him,"No. It won't. Nothing will."
"Nothing? Not even this?" He kisses me, attempting to take all my pain and bury it somewhere far from my mind.
I melt into him, my mind slowing down with every second we remain in each other's arms.
Chester smiles and lets go,"You feel any better?"
I stammer, breathing heavily,"I...uh.....yeah...."
"Good. It's time to wake up. Joe made breakfast."