The Only Thing That's Worse Than One is None.

[Rob's point of view. About a day or so later.]

"Okay guys..we need to finalize this before Eren starts to suspect what we are doing." I slowly take the mic from its stand.
Mike clears his throat, his voice amplified from where he is sitting inside a basic plexiglass and foam padding box,"He's right. Because Chester can only keep pace with Eren at certain stores... they'll be home any minute now."
Brad grumbles,"Well, if someone didn't insist on me doing a slow Fsharp melody, I'd already have the guitar line down."
Phoenix laughs,"Calm yourself. It sounds good."
Joe gives us a thumbs up for the tenth and final recording attempt.
I tap my foot against the floor, keeping rhythm that way.
Brad slowly starts singing, followed by Phoenix, and then me.

She always hides her fear
Never had anyone to hear
Never had someone to call her friend
All up until the end of her despair
He was the only one to care
And with every strand of hair she'd move away, she'd see more and more
Of the man she wanted in her life

At this point, my voice is cracking, so I take a quick drink of water, then jump into my solo.

The tears fall like rain
Down her face again
Winter and spring
Going hand in hand
Like her love and pain
She says to me
"I don't wanna be let down"
"I don't wanna live that life again"
"I don't wanna be let down"
"I don't wanna live those lies again"
And it was all I could do to melt her frozen heart
To bring her back to life
And it was all we could do to hold each other tight.
And it was all she could do to change my heart of stone

The front door opens upstairs.
Chester's voice.
"Go ahead and make something to eat. I gotta go check on the sump pump in the basement."

Mike nods, indicating that Chester played into the lie.
I smile as the music winds down.
Mike.
"And, let's see how this attempt worked."
His voice fades from the speakers as he nods at Joe.
The two of them converse for about five minutes before Joe's voice comes across.
"And, we nailed it. Rob. Go get Eren."

Out of nowhere, Chester pops up behind Mike,"Hey guys."
Mike jumps slightly, telling me that he obviously didn't hear the studio door open,"Cheese and crackers..scare me shitless why don't you?"
Chester smiles,"Whatcha workin on now?"
Mike rubs the back of his neck,"A new song. A song that Rob wrote for Eren."
"Awh. Did Robbikins write a song for his girlfriend??"
I choke back a growl,"Bennington, I will fuck you up."
"Not with a broken shoulder, you won't."
"Okay. Break a wrist and we'll go from there."
Mike clears his throat,"You two calm down. I'm going to go get Eren. No one touch ANYTHING."

[Eren's point of view. Minutes later.]

I choke on a mouthful of a ham and cheese sub, being as Mike just scared me half to death,"You.... asswipe...."
Mike chuckles,"Sorry. Anyway, come downstairs. We were working on something and we want to know if you have any suggestions."
I manage to swallow the food that was stuck in my throat,"Yeah. I'll come down."
At this point, Mike is looking like a kid in a high-tech candy store, practically jumping with anticipation,"Come on, before Chester hits a random button and fucks it all up."
I shake my head as I move towards the basement door,"Okay. I'm coming."
Mike follows me,"Ladies first."
I smile and walk down the stairs, quickly entering the studio.
Joe nudges Chester,"Play it."
Chester clicks something on the computer screen.
Music starts playing.
Rob smiles.
I smile back, my eyes locking with his.
Mike smiles as he nudges Chester,"See? I told you she'd like it."
I quickly find myself moving into the recording part of the studio,"Rob..... Did you.. write this for me?"
Rob smiles,"Well..I had some help."
I smile, a thin film of tears lining my eyes,"Rob. You didn't have to do this."
"Actually, Mike and I wrote it as a gift. Brad, Phoenix, and Joe agreed to contribute as well."
I stand on my toes, giving myself the extra five inches I need to reach Rob's eye level,"Well it's wonderful. Although what would have been the icing on the cake would have been drums."
"Hm..... maybe the drum track to Hands Held High? Mike, how's that sound?"
Mike looks at us thoughtfully for a moment, then starts playing around with a few buttons on the computer keyboard before a look of genuine disappointment plays across his face,"Nope. No fly."
Rob sighs,"Damn. How about the track for In Pieces?"
Mike plays with a few more buttons before shaking his head,"Nada. That's too fast for the vocals and guitar."
I smile slightly,"Wait. Let me see what I can do. Brad, can I borrow your headphones?"
Brad takes his headphones from around his neck,"Don't break them." He hands them to me.
"Mike, can you send me the audio track?"
"Yeah. To your phone?"
I nod as I sit down behind Rob's drum set,"Yeah. Stop me at any point if the beat doesn't feel right. Okay?"
"Yep."
I feel my phone vibrate against my leg as I plug Brad's headphones into the jack,"Okay... let's do this.." I close my eyes, quickly getting a good feel of what I want before beginning to play a drum line.
Rob coughs slightly,"Okay Eren... you don't have to show me up..."
I continue playing, finding myself being moved by the lyrics and melody.
Suddenly, Rob walks over and places his fingers on the cymbal that I just struck, quieting the ringing of the splash.
I look up at him,"Can I help you?"
He leans over the three Tom drums that make up the top of the set,"Actually, yes. You can."
I sit there, a furious heat running up my neck,"H-how?"
"Like this," He kisses me, while simultaneously guiding my hands to the drums in a sequence that sounds better than what I was playing.
I shiver slightly, automatically remembering the sequence,"Ah......."
Rob lets go and steps back,"You got that?"
I nod, about half breathless,"Y-yeah. Th-thanks."
"Okay. Let's try this again."