Crashing Down.

I gasp and open my eyes, a surge of white-hot pain flashes through my forehead.
Five faces at once look at me, half shocked, half fearful.
I slowly sit up,"Chester?"
He grunts,"Yeah?"
"Good. You're awake."
"Yeah."
I hold up my left hand, disappointed to see that it is bare except for the black watch on my wrist,"Does your arm hurt?"
"Yeah."
How about your eye?"
"Kind of. How's your forehead?"
"Killing me."
Mike clears his throat,"So. What you two are saying is that in an alternate universe, you two are both seventeen, and soon to be the leaders of a rebellion in an attempt to take back the earth's energy, all while trying to take back music?"
Chester nods,"Yep. Why?"
"It just doesn't make any sense."
Phoenix speaks up,"You two wouldn't mind if we fitted you with earpieces, would you?"
I shake my head,"Not really."
Chester shrugs,"I'm cool with it."
Phoenix smiles,"Let me go get the pieces and my computer, then we'll send y'all in for a test run."
I shift, entering a more comfortable position, drawing comfort from the thought that I'm not going in alone.
Phoenix walks out.
Chester laughs,"Huh. Hard to believe that I'm experiencing seventeen again."
I smile,"True."
Phoenix walks back in,"Okay. Chester, you go first." He hands Chester an earpiece.
Chester puts it in his ear and is in the dream before I even know what's going on.
Phoenix hands me the other earpiece.
I take it, put it in my right ear, and close my eyes, falling into dead space.
A voice in my ear.
"Eren. It's Phoenix. I can read your thoughts. Let me know if you can hear me."
I hear you.
"Good. Just go about your secondary life. I'll only interfere if there's a question."
Okay. I copy. Over.
I open my eyes to find Jordana tying a red cloth around my forehead,"Thanks."
She smiles,"No problem."
I walk back into the guest bedroom, planning on putting my boots on and going for a run.
Chester looks at me,"What are you doing?"
I stop,"Putting my boots on. Why?"
"You ain't going anywhere in the middle of the day. You'll get caught."
I smile,"Chester. You and I have one thing in common."
"What's that?"
"Neither of us take orders well." I pull my boots on and slide my glove onto my hand.
Phoenix's voice.
"How is this supposed to work?"
What? The rebellion?
"Yes. There's only two of you."
Phoenix, never underestimate me.
Chester looks at me, his shoes already on his feet,"I'm going with you."
I shake my head,"All due respect, but, no. I need time to myself. You being with me would only hinder me in a sudden response situation."
He stands there, defeated,"What do you mean?"
"Every time you've been around me when something happens, I've either lost my sanity, or I've passed out."
"Oh."
I sigh and move to the front door, "I'm sorry, but I just need some time to myself." I walk out.
Chester stands there, watching me, a longing stare across his face.