Writing Prompt 60

She walked nervously down the dock. Sweet stained her hands, rubbing against the patches on her jeans. She tugged on her ponytail, one of her nervous habits. She tucked the side of her shirt into her shorts.

She came down to the docks to get her dad to come up for lunch. It was a Sunday afternoon, nice and sunny, with the waves lapping underneath the boards at her feet. Then she suddenly felt even more awkward she saw a group of guys sitting on the benches near the sno-cone stand.

She wasn't looking where she was going. She quickly glanced away from them and tripped over a crack in the wood. She shrieked, tumbling into the water. Bubbles followed her fall as she sank through the blue depths.

Taking deep strokes, she swam to the surface. She heaved herself up, and mournfully realized her phone was in her pocket. She looked up and realized something. The group of boys had come over. "Are you alright?" One of them ventured to ask.

She pointedly held up her phone, smiling sadly. "I'm alright, but my phone sure isn't. . ." It dripped water onto the growing puddle below her, as if to prove her point. One of the other kids piped up.

"I know how to fix that, but I'd also have to reset it. . ." Reese's eyes filled with unshed tears.

"Anything would help," she laughed with a weak smile. She held it out to him. He took it, smiling with reassurance.

"Don't worry about it, it'll be alright in no time. Meet me here same time tomorrow? What's your name, by the way?"

"Yes, and Reese." She laughed holding out her hand. "What's yours?"

"Anthony. See you tomorrow, then." He smiled with a wave. She waved too, and they walked away while she awkwardly stood there, watching their backs disappear into the distance. Her eyes followed them as they walked up to their cars, off of the dock and over the hill. Till they drove away. Till they were gone. And then she tested the name out on her lips. Anthony. Hmm, I like it.

After a few more moments of contemplation, she whirled around, going back to her dad with renewed vigor. She ran to the doorway, "Dad! Lunch is ready." She waited two seconds for a response and when she was affirmed that he was coming, she ran back up the dock, to her house. She ran through the door and up the stairs to her room. She grabbed dry clothes and ran to the bathroom.

Then she looked in the mirror. She saw her flat, limp, wet and ratty hair. She looked at the mascara running down her cheeks. She looked at the pallid tone of her skin. And then she finally realized why she had heard a few snickers from the boys in the back. And suddenly there was more water to join what was already there on her cheeks. She turned away from the mirror and hopped into the shower.

As hot water scalded her skin, she couldn't help but collapse. She lay on the ground of the shower, stifling her sobs with two hands pressed to her mouth.

But even then, she knew she'd have to go back the next day. Phones were not inexpensive. She just hoped he would be true to his word. She suddenly felt angry at him. At them. And she realized what she was going to do.

As petty as it was, she was going to dress, and do herself up exactly the way you see girls on tumblr and Pinterest dress. She sat up, then stood, and scrubbed at her scalp with heavy duty conditioner, and shampoo. She was going to look good, and crying would not add to that.

But what she didn't know was that Anthony wasn't even going to fix her phone.

He was going to buy her an entirely new one.

He was rich, he could afford it. And as he stood around with his buddies, he realized he couldn't wait to go back and see Reese. The pretty girl with the broken phone.

Take it from here!!!!

Thanks for reading! Vote and comment and share and add to reading lists and follow! Thanks peeps,

Payton Janae :).