Writing Prompt 92

The blue lake glimmered and I blushed because it had made me think of his eyes.

     But the happiness was soon gone. He died. He wasn't here anymore.

     I stood on the crest of the hill, looking down at the valley. I pulled out my camera and snapped a picture. I ran a wrinkled hand through my grey hair like I had a million times before. A single tear rolled down my cheek. I wiped it away.

     I forced myself to keep walking, watching the blue waves loll.

     I tried to fight it, I really did. But the tears wanted to come. Blurriness assaulted my vision, and I stepped over the outlines of pine combs, barely staying upright. The tears just welled, not quite tipping over.

     I took a shuddering breath and rested a hand on my aching back.

     His smile weaved its way into my mind, I remembered every line because I had been watching him smile for forty eight years. But I couldn't do that anymore.

     I kept hiking, I was still a half mile from my car. But my lip trembled, I had only lost him four moths ago.

     I looked up at the sky and saw the white and grey clouds, the blue sky.

     My memories saw his hair turn from blonde to grey to white.

     I loved him. I still did.

     My resolve to keep moving was chipping away. My aching joints protested the long walk. Maybe I should've gotten one of my children to come with me. One of our children.

     I was getting older.

     I smiled up towards the blue sky, imagining that it was his eyes. His blue eyes.

     They had faded with time, becoming more glassy and dull. Until they closed only to never open again. He had died in his sleep.

     I had moved to a different room. I couldn't take his absence any longer. So many years of sleeping with a spouse becomes a habit.

     Now I was just lonely. Tears- no, rivers- began to spill from my eyes. I bit the inside of my cheek, holding my breath. I didn't want to completely break down.

     But then I remembered his peaceful face, lying in the casket, dead.

     And that's how my heart felt, dead without him.

     I fell to my knees, clutching my chest. Tears soaked my shirt, running down my chin, my neck, my chest. I wept. I wept for our love.

     And I wondered, not for the first time, how long it would hurt and when I would stop doing this every time I thought of him.

     The love of my life.

     But as my heart murmured and I felt sharp pains, I knew it would be the last time I wept like this.

     Because next thing I knew I was in his arms again.

     Except we were young.

Take it from here!

I feel like that was really choppy, but I suppose it's really early in the morning so that's probably why lol. Thanks for reading! You know the drill,

Payton Janae :).