Writing Prompts 78

Rain fell around me, ending in shallow puddles. It went straight through me landing on the black asphalt beneath my feet. My Vans stepped through the water, leaving no ripples. Mist paused on my skin, as if to settle, but slowly drifted away to gather as dew. I was no longer material. The ditches on either side of the road I walked were filled with mud. Memories long lost flittered through my mind till they were forgotten again. My sad smile hid nothing from the cruel world. The sky was dark, as was night, and the stars filled the sky. Tears dropped and hit the ground, but they also left no impact.

My sorrow only began to worsen when I saw a boy my age walking across the street. He went to his mailbox, rain making rivers in his hair. He muttered something about his bloody mother making him get the mail in the middle of the night in the pouring rain. He sounded angry. I drifted closer to him and his eyes came up. Then he looked down again. But he looked back up again just as quickly. He stepped back, dropping the key he held onto the ground. He peered at me. Then he stooped to pick up the key.

"You scared me, whatcha doin' out here in the pouring rain? Without a jacket on?" I stared for a moment, lost in thought. "Wait, how're you not wet?" He steps closer. He narrows his eyes. I gather the courage to speak, opening my mouth.

"You can see me?" His eyes widen and he steps back. He lifts his hand and it passes through me. He gasps. If possible, his eyes widen even more.

He takes another step back. I shake my head ruefully, glancing at the ground. "No matter. Goodbye." I carry on my walk, stepping through the puddles, leaving no effects behind. Telephone poles reach out to the sky, the green grass fields around me leaving me saddened by my life. Or rather, my lack of life.

Small bunnies creep in the night, though raspberry bushes and wildflowers. But the cold chill in the air has scared away all the birds, leaving only the moon to fly in the sky. I her a noise, but I ignore it. It is not for me. The yellow line in the middle of the road reflects light. The motion sensor lights on the few barns I've walked past all all go on. Pattering, heavy footsteps catch up to me and a flashlight burns brightly against the rain. It is the boy. He catches my shoulder breathlessly. Wait. He catches my shoulder.

Suddenly I can feel rain dropping through my hair. The mist settles in me, and my Vans soak in the puddles. I gasp. How?

The boy and I turn to face each other. "What are are you?" We demand at the same time.

Take it from here!

I'm attempting to take some of my other stories off hold, since I actually have time this week due to the long weekend! Anyways, thanks for reading! Vote and comment and share and add to reading lists! I'm super happy with the amount of new readers and support I am getting! Please please vote! It takes like less than a second of your time! After all, I have eleven thousand reads and only five hundred votes! Don't you think that's a little depressing? I do! Let's amp that number up! Thanks again, loves!

Payton Janae :).