Writing Prompts 67

Second chances don't always mean happy endings.

     When Lilleth goes to sleep, she is haunted by nightmares. When she stays awake, she's haunted by reality.

     She is popular. She has bright blue eyes, glossy lips, and perfectly highlighted blonde hair.

     Lilleth has that perfect body all the teenage girls strive for. Busty with a small waist, shapely derrière, slim and tall with a perfect nose. She could be a model. But in reality, she is insecure. Don't judge a book by its cover. The funniest thing, though, is that the place she dreams of, even though it fills her head with nightmares, is where she would rather be.

     Every time she drifts off to sleep, shadows haunt her eyelids.

     She stands alone, in a dark forest. She hides near the base of a tree. An owl hoots, startling her out of reverie. She hears distant howling, the sound giving her goosebumps. A cold breeze whips through her hair, sending it spinning into her eyes. A twig cracks. Lilleth freezes. Then, darkness swirls. It swirls around her. She falls, the moss cushioning her. As she looks down to catch herself from falling, she realizes something she hadn't before: she is wearing a medieval dress. A dark green one with accents of brown. Or maybe that was just dirt. A feeling of fear leaves her cold and breathless. She huddles against the moss and the base of the tree. She feels exposed. She hides her shuddering under fake confidence. The feeling fades away and she pants for breath. She clutches her throat with relief. Then, her hair falls from its bun. She gasps in shock. It's brown.

     Now that the fear is gone, Lilleth is beginning to realize a lot of strange things. She feels more comfortable in this skin than she ever did in the waking world. She feels shorter and not as perfectly shaped. She internally sighs from relief, now she wouldn't always be the center of attention. It had always added to her insecurity.

     She feels normal and comfortable despite her odd circumstances. Lilleth realizes she should probably look around before that thing came back. If it came back at all. She stands up, brushing all manner of forest floor off of herself. She shakes out her skirts and stretches her arms wide, she felt like she had just woken up. I don't ever want to leave this place, she thought to herself.

     Then, she feels it. A freezing sensation at the base of her skull. A steady chill seeping through her veins. Goosebumps rising on her skin. And something else she can't quite place.

     Suddenly, a man appears in front of her. "You're back." It's a calm, deep, gravely, handsome voice. Hard to describe but very deep. Shivers run up her spine. His face is hooded, shadows covering his features. He beckons to her. Involuntarily, she moves forward. Suddenly she floats through the air till she is in front of him. He is tall. Now she can see him. She stifles a gasp when piercing blue eyes meet her own. The hood falls away to reveal raven black hair. She stands there mesmerized. Without thinking, her hand reaches out to touch the small white scar that goes through his left brow.

     Then, blackness. Then, Lilleth wakes up.

     But this time, she isn't satisfied with going back to the waking world. She likes the hidden world. Next time she goes there, she would be there for good. She would never be coming back to the waking world.

Take it from here!

Thanks for reading :) I decided to do something a little bit more fun-ish. Vote, comment, share and add to reading lists please! Thank you so much people! I love getting feedback. . .
Oh and also, I just had surgery for two root canals yesterday, still sore today, and still wishing I had never asked that boy to the dance! Good news is, though, that my crush and I had a good conversation about root canals yesterday! 😂😂 Anyways, thanks for reading! Hope you don't have as much homework as I do everyday!

Payton Janae :).

This has 7.37k views, 356 votes, and 159 comments! Thank you guys, I love and appreciate all of your support!

11•4•16