Writing Prompt 129

"Gah!" I shrieked, falling through the air. Dragons circled around me, cawing and screeching at my flowing skirts. A few spewed flames at me, but soon gravity took me out of their sight. They had gotten bored of me though, and would sooner let me fall to the ground than save me or play catch with me anymore.

     I hurtled towards the grounds faster than I had ever in my life- and abruptly came to a halt. Hovering in thin air, amongst clouds and sunshine, I was turned around-mind you, in thin air- to see a handsome young man astride another dragon. He whistled.

     "Woo wee, I've got myself quite a catch!" He winks a dastardly wink at me and motions toward the air to bring me closer. The air obliges and throws me, quite roughly, into his lap. I shriek again, finding my face very squashed against his chest. My dress hangs in soggy disarray around us. The wind that I feel holding. Me suddenly disappears and gravity finds me again. I slide sideways, off his lap and nearly off the dragon. But I throw my arms about his neck, clutching desperately so that I might not fall.

     "Ah, feisty are we?" He draws me closer, pulling me flush with him and slinging his hands tightly around my waist. "I like feisty." He whispers into my ear. I gasp and pull away from him as fast as I can, appalled at his straightforward actions. Of course, my reaction causes me to slip right off the dragon to my doom below. Once again wind whistles past my ears and I feel my stomach flop as I free fall. I nearly sigh at the repetition of it all, but I resign myself to my fate. This is getting old.

     But against all beliefs, I land with a splash in a cloud. A semi solid cloud. The young man from before leisurely flies over to me, extending a hand. I regretfully take it, bemoaning my sopping wet dress. With the agility and strength of a lion's jaw, he pulls me up and I land with a thud behind him.

     "Don't be shy, milady, hold onto my waist." He chuckles and turns to give me a crooked smile. I grumble, but when the dragon starts to fly faster I hurriedly clasp my hands around his midsection. He rests one of his hands on mine until I wrestle from under it, then he keeps both of his hands on the dragon's horns.

     Then he smacks the dragon's rump and we're sent off, zipping towards the castle and all the things within it.

     "How's you get above the clouds?" He asks me pondering my descent.

     "Somehow." I avoid the questioning glance he sends my way.

     "Tell me, please?"

     "No."

     "I'll let you have my apple pie tonight. . . "

     I whisper over his shoulder, the surprise strongly coating my words. "Really? You will?"

     "Only if you tell me."

     "Fine, I was trying to tame one of the wild dragons. I rode it until you saw me falling!" Only guffaws of laughter fill my ears, dark red blush creeps over my face. I jab at his back.

     "Stop laughing!" He chuckles once more, pausing to reply.

     "Ah, you're not getting that apple pie, Princess Gwendolyn, I hope you know that." He bursts into laughter again as I smack him, angrily yelling profanities.

     "But seriously, malady, your father hired me to protect you, which mind you I've done a wonderful job of the past three years, but I really think you ought not go about trying to tame wild dragons anymore."

     A dramatic silence ensues.

     "At least not without me."

Take it from here!

What now?!?! Updating more than once in a day? This is crazy stuff, folksy! Btw, if you hadn't figured out in the prompt that the girl was a princess and the dude was her protector/knight- now you know :P. Thanks for reading!

Payton Janae :).