Writing Prompt 149

"Hello? Hello, can you hear me? This is Agent 3, what is the emergency?"

     Ragged breath came from the other end of my Bluetooth earpiece, "It's a code red, a code red!"

     The words that resonates in my ears shocked me. It was a code red. That meant we have aliens on our hands. I nearly spluttered, thinking I had heard them wrong. "A code red?" The doubt heavily weighed my words.

     "It's a code red. Get out of there while you still can."

     Then the line went dead. A staticky noise buzzed in my ear as I stood there, too shocked to move. We didn't have a protocol for this. We had never expected it to actually happen. I needed to go to the HQs. I needed to speak to the boss. Alert him, figure out what we needed to do next, what we even could do next. I sprinted to my car.

     Turning my hazards on, I weaved in and out of traffic, passing slow people and fast people in my rush to get where I needed to go. As soon as I stopped my car, I jumped out of it. Then, composing myself. I smoothed my hair and walked straight to the office. It was eerily quiet. But there were still people there. They all seemed unnaturally complacent, but it was probably just nerves.

     I knocked on his door before letting myself in. He swiveled around to greet me.

     He paused before nodding.

     "Agent three. How can I help you?"

     "Sir, there's been a code red--"

     "I'm perfectly aware, agent three. Nothing to worry about it. A false call. Forget it." He smiled a bright smile as I felt myself calm down. But there was a prickly feeling at the back of my throat. A feeling I always had when people were lying to me. And I realized why a few seconds later.

     He turned from me, and I caught a glimpse of a . . . Bullet wound? In the back of his head? And . . . What appeared to be green skin below his collar. I leaned forward. Yes, I was correct.

     No, this wasn't my boss any longer. This was an alien who had possessed him. I smiled a fake smile as bright as his and turned away. Shaken to the core, I faked confidence and said "Of course sir, my mistake sir. I'll be in my way then." Then, turning away, I walked out of the building, already planning a way to bring down the aliens.

Take it from here!

Hey peeps :). How are you? Any new developments in your lives as of right now? Tell me them all! Thanks for reading :)

Payton Janae :).