Loudspeaker

Sebastian

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
-Eleanor Roosevelt, US First Lady

       My dreams of being happy and to have a normal life were slowly, slowly being processed. I stole a few antidepressants from my foster mother's medicine cabinet a few days ago, and I think they've really helped. Sharky has helped a lot too. He's uplifted me and made me feel stronger when I'm depressed, or when I wanna give up. Even when I heard the loudspeaker turn on in the middle of French class I knew everything was fine. Even after Beij, Drip, and Clyde were called down to the office I knew this whole situation would blow over. Drip would stop being a jerk, Beij would open up and be less moody, and Clyde would finally realize that Drip isn't the right choice. Everything was going to be okay.
         Today was fine, better than other days. In French before the big announcement we got to have a big party. Festive, little, brightly colored lanterns and balloons were taped on the ceiling and walls. Samples of French pastries and breads were scattered on tables, with small descriptions each student wrote. I made a soufflé, which turned it great. Long ago, before this generation, I used to live in the French countryside with a poor family. But the maid of the house, Margarete, taught me some French cooking. All of the other students loved my soufflé, and told me to make more the next time a party comes around. My face hurt from smiling so much after that.
         I was still in a happy mood after Drip and Beig got into it, because I just decided to stay out of it. If they really needed me, they could ask and I'd be there for them. But today, I'm going to try to be happy and no one will stop me. I did get a little troubled by the fact that the big Christmas Ball was coming up. The school called it a "ball," but it's just prom. I did like how everyone dressed up, did their hair, and especially the promposals. Last year a kid literally flew down from the rafters and asked a girl out. She of course said yes.
          I just got super lucky today, like those antidepressants were solving all of my school problems. The lowest grade I got on a test today was a B. But on the other hand, Clyde was sulking around like it was his second funeral. He dragged his feet and Hund his head low, like me. His shoulders were hunched, and his back was slouching. I patted his shoulder and smiled at him as I walked by. He gave me this weird, "ew-I-never-see-you-smile-please-don't-do-that-ever-again" look. But I didn't mind. I was looking forward to coming home and taking care of Sharky, who was back in my basement. My foster dad was in jail now, so I'm sure he won't mind.
      I walked through the back door, swinging my back back into the ground. I took a look at the big bulging lump on the couch and grinned. I swept up Sharky' little blanket cocoon and held him in my arms. I snuggled him close, and he let out a sleepy laugh. I kissed his forehead as he was taking back to sleep, and I ended up doing my homework with him laying in my lap. He was sick with a cold today, but I didn't mind. I would get sick for him any day.
         I went to sleep that night knowing the rest of the week will most likely suck, but I kept my hopes up. Christmas was coming around the corner and it was my favorite holiday. No one would put a damper on my happy spirit.