Packing Up

Sebastian

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
-Dr. Seuss

This week, a lot happened. I think we can all agree on that. First it was the Christmas dance, then it was Clyde leaving. Now it's this. I sighed heavily as I dragged my red and black suitcase up the shag carpet stairs.
"Hey Sharky, you coming?" I yelled downstairs.
"Yup, one moment. One of the ping pong balls fell underneath the couch." He grunted, his voice muffled.
"Why are you trying to get the ping pong ball? We have like eight packages of them." I replied.
"But this is a special ping pong ball! It's when I first came to your house!" He yelled back. I smiled. I remember that like it was yesterday. It was the starting of the school year, when the weather was hot and sticky. Sharky was camping out in the woods because he didn't have a house to go home to every night.
"Well, I'll help you move the couch after I'm done loading up the car!" I said. I was finally moving out of my foster parents' house. My social worker found someone who would take me in.
"I'm going to be adopted. I'm going to have a family." I mouthed this to myself. I still couldn't believe it. Even though I'm legally turning "eighteen" next year, I'm still pretty excited. I've never really had a family before, even though I'm immortal. I don't know much about the people who are taking me in, I only know that they own a bookstore downtown and that they're both Wendigo's. Wendigo's are spirits that are known to feast on human flesh, but they haven't eaten a person since thousands of years ago. See? People do really change! I shoved my last suitcase into my truck, and called to Sharky. He came bolting up the stairs with a musty, crushed, white ball in his hand.
"Found it!" He cheered, looking triumphant.
I nodded and laughed, and opened the car door for him. My foster parents didn't bother waving goodbye to me, they were glad I was going to be leaving. I didn't mind, really. I still left a thank you note for them on the counter though.
My new family's house was in the city, and I heard there was a cheap apartment for sale near it. Sharky and I are planning to take a look at it later this week. I rolled my car out of the parking lot, and we were off.
"It's like all of my dreams have come true." I said in a far off voice.
"Me too. It's like I've never been happier." Sharky whispered back.
"We've really come a long way from the starting of the year, haven't we?" I asked Sharky, who was looking out the car window.
"Yes, we certainly have," said his voice in a dreamily manner.
I pulled up to the bookstore/house that my new parents lived in. I grabbed my suitcase and other luggage, and walked through the door. A spiraling staircase led up to the loft where they lived, and it smelled like cinnamon. A small bell clanged, and I saw them. I didn't realize that I wasn't breathing until one of them stepped forward.
"Hello Sebastian," a soft, gentle voice said. "I guess you could say that I'm your new mom." I crumpled into tears after her kind voice met my ears. I have a mom! A real, authentic mom!
"Sebastian? Are you okay? I know this is a lot to handle. Make yourself comfortable." My new dad's deep, strong voice sounded. It was filled with real worry. I dropped my suitcase and ran to them. They opened their ghostly pale arms and embraced me. I was struck with the coldness of touching a spirit, but I didn't even care. They are my parents now. The two wiped my tears and led me upstairs to show me my room. I introduced them to Sharky, who they absolutely loved. I learned that their names are Wallace and Nancy, and apparently they're both vegans. They're Wendigo Rights Activists, and they've always wanted a child. And I guess that child is me.