Sparkly Ring

Beij

     For some reason I wasn't exactly all that scared. Sure, we were meeting Clyde's mom and it was this big ass emotional breakthrough and all, but I knew it was going to go well. I get along with adults well, or at least I'm good at faking it. When I was walking up to that front door I knew this was gonna be a piece of cake. When Clyde's mom opened the door she appeared to be uneasy about Sebastian, but I was too set on making a good impression to really take notice. He could figure it out. We were invited into her home and she asked us to stay for dinner. I saw Sebastian disappear outside at one point but I was asked to help make dinner.

     "So, you like Clyde?" Clyde's mom asked with a chuckle. She was stirring a big bowl of vegetables and her wedding ring was sparkling when she moved it.

     "Yeah I do! He's the best boyfriend I've ever had." I laughed and blushed.

     "It must have been nice to be in a car with him all week long" The older woman wiggled her fingers like a teenager and laughed.

     "Oh, um.." I didn't know how to answer, but I'm pretty sure my blush did that for me.

     "Oh I'm just teasing," She laughed and looked at me. "But did you guys... you know... is it that serious yet?" Oh my god, is she talking about sex? She is totally talking about sex. But it's like she's my friend right now, not my boyfriend's mom. I guess it's okay to answer.

     "Well, we've gotten close. But never actually the real thing." I looked down at the salad I was tossing.

     "Honey, I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I just don't know anything about my son." She sadly met eyes with me.

     "It's okay. He's always wanted to be close to you. You guys will be so great together." I didn't exactly know what to say.

     "Thank you Beij."

     "I like your ring." I pointed at the giant stone glittering on her finger.

     "Thank you! I protect it with all my heart." I wonder which husband got it for her? Then again, why would she still wear Clyde's original dad's ring. That would be weird.