55 : Riker's Birthday

A/N : In honor of Riker's 26th birthday. I love him so much! And I wouldn't be the person I am today without him. <3 

55 - Riker's Birthday

Today was Riker's birthday. And you had been invited over the Lynch's house for dinner since you were Riker's girlfriend.

And suddenly, you get a text from Riker.

"Don't bother coming over tonight."

You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion. So you called Riker.

"Hello?"

"Riker, what's going on? Aren't we having your birthday dinner at your house tonight?"

"Not anymore."

"Well what happened?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

Before you could ask anything else, he hung up. So you decided to drive over there.

You got to Riker's house, and knocked on the door. Ross answered it.

"Hey. What's going on with Riker?" You asked.

"He's just having a really rough day... He's upstairs in his bedroom. Good luck trying to cheer him up. We already tried, but it's not working."

You walked up to Riker's bedroom, and knocked on the door. He opened it, and you could see he had been crying.

"Why are you here? I said it was cancelled."

You took his hand, and pulled him over to his bed.

"Why don't you tell me what's going on?"

He laid down, and stared up at the ceiling.

"Nothing is going right today. My dad gave us all a really stern talk about how we need to work harder because he thinks we're goofing off too much. And everybody keeps joking around and saying I'm getting so old. And I just feel like nobody cares that it's my birthday, and I feel super sucky about the whole thing. I just want it to be tomorrow and get my birthday over with already."

"Riker... Your birthday is so special. I know everybody might be joking around that you're getting older. But that just means you're getting smarter and making more memories. Your dad was probably only telling you guys to work harder because he wants you guys to be successful."

You wipe the tears off his cheeks.

"Well I don't feel like my birthday is special..."

"Riker. Your birthday is special because it's a day celebrating you. If you weren't born, I would've never met you. And I don't know what I'd do without you."

You lay down next to Riker, and wrap your arms around him. He hugs you back tightly, and sighs.

"I want you to have a good birthday. And if you stay up here and mope around, feeling sorry for yourself, that's not going to happen. If you get up, get dressed, and we go downstairs and have your birthday dinner with your family, we can still turn the day around. Now... What do you want to do?"

"I want to have a good birthday."

"Ok. Then go get dressed, and we'll go downstairs."

Riker gets up, grabs some clothes, and leaves the room. He comes back a few minutes later, all dressed. And you guys go downstairs, holding hands.

"Are we having your birthday dinner?" His mom asked.

"Yes, if that's still ok," Riker said, quietly.

"Of course, honey. Dinner will be ready in a little while."

You and Riker sit on the couch to wait. You held Riker's hand, and talked about random things while you waited.

Finally dinner was ready, and you had a nice dinner with Riker's family. After dinner, you have cake and ice cream, and open presents. Riker got a bunch of nice things, including a new bass. And you could tell he was genuinely happy now. You were glad that you helped him turn his birthday around.