85 : Ow

A/N : Random short oneshot idea I came up with, inspired by my own experiences playing guitar...

85 - Ow

You were sitting on Riker's bed with him. He was working on writing a song for Riker and the Beachcombers on his guitar.

"Ow," he said, writing something down.

He keeps mumbling things and playing chords.

"Ow."

You look up from your phone at him.

"What?" You ask.

"Nothing."

He goes back to working on his song for another minute. And then...

"Ow."

"Riker, what is it?"

"It's just my fingers."

"What's wrong with your fingers?"

"They hurt."

"Yeah, I got that. But why?"

"Because my fingers are used to playing bass. You don't have to press down very hard on the strings because they're so big. But guitar strings are skinnier and you have to press down harder. And usually it's fine because your fingers get used to it. But I haven't played guitar in a while and my fingers aren't used to the strings and they hurt."

"Ok, so maybe you should take a break?"

"No, I have to keep working on this song."

"But your fingers hurt."

"I know. It's part of the process. You have to keep playing even though they hurt so they get used to it."

"Do you have to go through this every time you haven't played guitar in a while?"

"Yup."

"That's ridiculous."

"It's worth it."

"Really?"

"Really. It doesn't hurt that bad. It just makes my fingers sore for a little bit."

He starts playing chords and mumbling things again.

"Ow!"

"Riker, you've been doing this for an hour. Take a break."

"Fine..."

"Go ice your fingers or something."