"omg this story is so cliche"

Okay, here's my problem.

People always complain about stories that are cliche and say that they are boring and uncreative. But the truth is...

Oh, hold up. You don't know what a cliche is? Let me educate you.

A cliché or cliche (UK /ˈkliːʃeɪ/ or US /klɪˈʃeɪ/) is an expression, idea, or element of an artistic work which has become overused to the point of losing its original meaning or effect, even to the point of being trite or irritating, especially when at some earlier time it was considered meaningful or novel.[1]

Thanks Wikipedia.

Cliches can be actual plotlines (such as bad boy falls in love with the good girl) or they can be characters (popular snarky & rude blonde girl is head cheerleader) or even just sayings (time will tell, all's well that ends well, opposites attract, etc.)

Basically, a cliche is any sort of idea that has become so common that it's annoying! Right?

Most people on Wattpad, and just writers in general, steer clear of cliches. How often have you clicked on a description of a story and the author writes in the description: *I PROMISE THIS STORY IS NOT CLICHE*

But have you ever stopped to realize that cliches are cliches for a reason.

They work.

People wouldn't use an idea over and over again if nobody liked it. Sure, you're always going to have those people who aren't fans of your story, but that's life. But think about it, no one would have written stories about the bad guy falling in love with the good girl if no one was reading them. Also, cliches can also be used to bring emphasis to the story. Maybe the author wants to demonstrate just how mean their blonde cheerleader is by bringing reference to Sharpay from High School Musical, or Regina George from Mean Girls, or just by saying how all mean girls seem to have similar features to her. I don't know! It's their story.

I hate when people complain: "the only stories that are here on Wattpad are so cliche and overused like why does anyone even waste their life reading that?"

HONEY THE REASON CLICHES ARE CLICHES IS BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE THEM.

Am I saying that everyone should stop being original and all write the same story? No, of course not. And honestly, if you are going to look into getting a story published you should probably make sure it has at least some sort of original idea woven in there to catch a publisher's attention.

My point is that people should stop complaining that cliches are overused. If you don't like stories that involve a mean blonde cheerleader, then don't read them. There are plenty more people that are willing to vote and read a story that the author won't even notice you are missing. I promise.

Not all common ideas are annoying. Many people take a cliche and put their own twist on it, such as bad girl falling in love with the good guy or something, and I think that's totally cool! At the end of the day, it's the author's story, not yours, and you have no right to tell them how they can/can't write it.

Just remember the next time you are reading a story that makes you think "this is so cliche", there's probably a reason for it.

Vote if you agree,

Comment if you have something to say, (actually, comment cliches that you have discovered while on Wattpad)

And follow to make my day!