"Age is just a number"

Alrighty, this is gonna be another rant about things people do on Wattpad that annoys me.

Wattpad has this...rule? Requirement? I don't know. But basically, you aren't supposed to be on this website unless you are thirteen or older. I'm not a Wattpad ambassador, and obviously, nothing I say can force you to change your mind. With that being said, I would seriously recommend that you follow that rule. Your family might have your own boundaries, but if I were you I would abide by the website's rules.

This rant isn't just about underage users. Another issue that I have discovered that relates to age and Wattpad are some of the stories that are listed on here, and namely, the story's ratings.

Wattpad has a rating system similar to a rating system you would find for movies. I'm sure you are all familiar with it. Well, I kid you not, while I was scrolling through some stories on here I spotted a One Direction 'Imagine' that was rated R. I just clicked the summary (I wasn't about to read anymore than that) and the author had written there that no one under sixteen should read it. I went to her profile, and she had her birthdate visible. She had just turned 14! How can you write something that you say isn't appropriate for kids your own age?

Honestly, some people...

The highest rating I would give my story is PG-13, not only because I'm not into writing inappropriate stories, but also because if it's rated PG-13 it's material I can handle!

Then there's the people who are older on this site. I'm not talking just about people who are retired/elderly, this includes people in their late teens to late 80s. I don't get what makes people think that since they are older they are automatically better authors when that is clearly not the case.

Age is just a number. People who are younger can be just as talented, even if they haven't had as much experience. I'm not saying that's always the case, but people shouldn't just make assumptions.

Honestly, age is such a big deal on this site. And in some aspects, like the first two things I mentioned, I think it is important that age is considered. Wattpad sets their own limits when it comes to the age of people allowed on this site. And people definitely shouldn't write stories that deal with topics that are too mature for them. At the same time, age shouldn't determine who is the best author.