Things Wattpad Writers do that Annoys Me

Number 1: Super short chapters.

Okay, so the only time that I think it is acceptable for Wattpad stories to have super short chapters is when the book is a diary or rant book, or a poem book. But if you have a story with complex characters and a complex plot, I think your chapters should be at least 1000 words. Obviously every situation is different and there might be general exceptions, but I really, really hate when people update their chapters and they are only two paragraphs! How can you write a beneficial chapter that is interesting to your readers in only a couple paragraphs? I just don't understand! I normally end up deleting those books from my library because they just annoy me.

Number 2: Stories with NO Description

Another one of my major wattpad pet peeves is when people write stories without any description at all. Seriously, we go the whole story without even knowing what colour hair the main character has! And where do her mom and dad work? Who knows! Does she even have any best friends or a boyfriend or siblings? We'll never find out! Does she live in a big city or in the country? Your guess is as good as mine! I just really can't get into a story unless I feel like I really know the characters.

Number 3: Stories with too MUCH Description

This a little contradictory to my last point, but I also get annoyed when authors just have a huge info-dump, especially at the beginning of their stories. I do not need to know all in one paragraph your character's full name, exact height, date of birth, hair colour, eye colour, favourite colour, etc. There is a balance between not enough and wayyyy too much. If you're not sure where you stand, ask a critic. They will definitely help you out. I am just so sick and tired of starting a new story and seeing the first paragraph starts like this:

Hi! I'm Cassidy Marie Clark. I'm 15 years old, and I'm 5'6 and weigh exactly 130 pounds. My hair is pretty long, down to my shoulders, and it's a dark brown colour, just like my eyes. My favourite colour is purple and my favourite number is 7, I have two younger sisters and an older brother, They are so annoying! I live in a big city in California and go to East High School. Go Wildcats! My highest mark right now is an 88 in Math and my lowest mark is-

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? Honestly, it's not even a story it's more like some sort of character profile.

Number 4: Sentences that start with 'I' or 'He' or 'She'

I struggle with this a lot in my own writing as well. I really hate when people just use the same sentences starters over and over again in their story. Whether they use he, she, or I, well, that depends on the point of view they are writing in and the gender of the character. But here's an example of annoying repetition:

I woke up really early this morning. I am so tired. I decided to take a quick nap on the couch. I slept for more than 4 hours! I woke up in a panic because I had a lot of homework to finish. I ran to the front door and grabbed my backpack. I spread my textbooks out on top of the dining room table. I worked hard for a little while, but then I started having trouble with my math homework. I really didn't understand it, so I decided to call my best friend, who was practically a certified math genius. I waited for a little while, but she wasn't picking up. I threw my math textbook on the ground and I didn't do any more homework that night.

I typed the word 'I' fifteen times in that small paragraph. Did you notice a difference? Did it sound repetitive to you?

Anyways, that's it for now Losers. Thanks again for almost 2K reads on 'A Loser's Thoughts on Life'! I really appreciate all the interest you have been giving to my little rant book. Seriously, I never thought people would want to hear me talk about what annoys me :)

Vote if you agree with my opinion on some of these annoying things that some Wattpad authors do.

Love,

Emmalynn