When The POV Changes Every Two Seconds

Emmalynn's POV

"Hmm... I wonder what sandwich I should order?" I thought out loud.

Random Sandwich-Maker Guy At Subway POV

Ugh. I really didn't want to be working today. I'm missing my mom's birthday party!

Businessman behind Emmalynn in line POV

"I wish this girl would just hurry up and order her stupid sandwich. I'm gonna be late to my meeting!" I mumbled to myself and checked my emails on my cellphone. Darn, my meeting was moved to 12. There was no way I was going to make it on time.

16 year old teenager taking their drivers test in the Subway parking lot POV:

I pushed the pedal to the metal as I does through the parking lot. The look of concern that flashed across my driving instructor's face annoyed me. I knew what I was doing, why take it slow? It's not like there was anything to worry about, I mean...

*CRASH*

Well... crashing into the Subway probably wasn't going to get me any closer to my licence.

Driving Instructor's POV:

I rubbed my forehead and sighed. This was going to be a lot of paperwork.

<><><><><><><><>

So what did you all think about that little story? I call it The Epic Subway Crash ft. Super Annoying POV Changes.

For those of you unfamiliar with this topic, POV= Point of View. As in, the character who is narrating the story, and commenting on the action.

In the vast majority of published stories, I would say, the narrator stays the same throughout the entire book. However, there are some cases, such as Percy Jackson novels, where the POV rotates each chapter. Never, ever, have I read a published book where the POV changes every sentence.

You know why these kind of books never get published?

Because they are as confusing as my math textbook!

And my math textbook is super confusing. Like, we're talking parabolas and trigonometry confusing. Yup, I know. Trust me, I'm lost too.

Back to POV struggles. Honestly, in these stories I'm constantly forgetting who's who, what's happening, how did this person get here, etc. And eventually, you know what? I just stop reading. Because those books are not worth the extra brain power you need to read them.

So to all you authors out there: don't change the POV on every sentence. If you really want to show what's happening from different character's perspectives, just write the whole story in a third person, or universal, POV. And spare us all.

xoxo Emmalynn