Perfect Characters

Just a heads up: updates might slow down a bit because of all my culminatings and exams that are coming up. Ugh, stupid schoolwork. But don't worry, I've pre-written some rants, so hopefully I'll still be able to publish those. Just wanted to let you know :)

We all have strengths and weaknesses. Right? That's what makes us real. So don't you find it annoying when authors create characters who are practically invincible?

I mean, I've read countless stories where the characters are these stick thin, blemish-free supermodels, but of course they don't see any of that and they think they're ugly.

I completely understand how this happens. Usually authors create characters to sort of be the 'perfect version' of themselves. You know what I mean? Their character is who they wish they could be, sort of thing. And I mean, it's your book, do whatever you want.

But is that really what makes a good character? A person who is so beautiful and perfect and smart that they are completely unattainable?

That's definitely not a very relateable character.

A relatable character has insecurities. A relatable character has things they like about themselves. A relatable character can be lazy, want to give up, and make bad decisions. A relatable character faces challenges, and learns to overcome them.

At the end of the day, none of us are perfect. Nope, not even me. Although I'm about as close as it gets ;)

Totally kidding. I'm about as far from it as it gets.

Anyways, no real person is perfect, so why should your character be? Your character needs to grow and develop like a real person; how can they do that when they're already perfect?

That's all for today Losers!

xoxo Emmalynn

P.S. You're all perfect to me <3