*they hurt you*

ponyboy curtis

it was fourth of July and i was over at the curtis house watching the gang pop fireworks with pony and johnny.

johnny was third wheeling in every conversation we would have, we often teased him about that.

"just because my best friend got a girl doesn't mean i'm gonna stop hanging out with him," he rolled his eyes playfully.

"don't worry johnny cade, you won't have to," i said looking up at the sky, watching all the bright colors.

we were laying in the lawn, ponys arm was around me and i was cuddled up to him.

"HEY REAGAN PONY, GET OVER HERE!" dally yelled laughing at steve who got burned by sodas sparkler.

pony got up and pulled me up with him.

"what's up dal," i asked watching steve chase soda for burning him.

"try these," dally said handing pony a roman candle.

"no dal i really don't want to do fireworks," but it was too late dally had already lit it.

"what do i do! drop it?!" pony panicked.

i assumed he didn't know what a roman candle was, or what he did.

"NO!" dally yelled as pony dropped it to the ground.

the first firework shot out and caught fire on my shoe.

i stared laughing and freaking out at the same time. i couldn't kick my shoe off easily without getting burned and the fire was starting to spread, it was getting really hot on my skin.

luckily darry ran over with a bottle of water and dumped it on my foot. then the second spark flew out and i let out a scream and jumped up into pony's arms.

"your supposed to hold it and point it away from people and not set shoes on fire," i said flinching as the next spark shot out.

johnny cade

"hug me," i said jumping on johnny's back.

he chuckled and set me down then hugged me.

"now kiss me!"

he smiled then kissed me.

"now catch me!" i said running down the street for him to chase me.

he groaned and started running after me, i looked over my shoulder to see how close he was. i decided i needed to speed up, but what i didn't know was that johnny had ahold of the back of my shirt.

when i sped up i tripped due to being unexpectedly pulled back.

i fell face first into the asphalt, i felt a burning in my knees, i knew i had scraped them.

johnny gasped and started apologizing,"i'm sorry i didn't mean to hurt you! i'm so sorry, here, i'll carry you home and clean you up."

he picked me up and i whispered in his ear,"you caught me huh?"

dallas winston