•SODA•

(in this you are in the eighth grade, as well as steve and soda. so everyone is a few years younger.)

my eyes lit up once our teacher announced the school dance.

i immediately started slapping soda's arm on attempt to wake him up. "sodasdoasodasodasoda!" i repeated.

he just about fell out of his chair. "whatwhatwhatwhat." he mocked me. i rolled my eyes at him.

"the dance," i said pointing to the words written on the board,"you think rodrick will ask me?!"

he gave me a halfhearted smile,"of course he will, he obviously like you. and hey, if he doesn't i'll take you."

i snorted," yeah right, that'll be like going with my cousin or my brother. we've been best friends since kindergarten."

"yeah she'll take me instead," steve stuck his tongue at soda.

"yeah right steve," i laughed,"you've been desperate for a girl the past five years, your going with my friend who likes you." i pointed to her across the room.

"first off, you have friends? and second off, s-she likes me?" he blushed a little bit.

i nodded,"200%". the bell rang and we walked out into the busy middle school hallway.

i made steve give me a piggy back ride to our next class. and soda carried me on his back to our last class.

on the bus ride home rodrick sat in front of me and i wanted to ask him then, but something told me i shouldn't. he was so cool, one of the
coolest greaser i've ever met. him and darry were real good buddies, so i got to see him around the curtis house a lot.

"why didn't you ask him megs?" soda asked sitting with me at the kitchen table.

"cause she's a chicken," steve teases while imitating a chicken.

"ask who what?" pony asked.

"rodrick, and i wanted to ask him to take me to the dance," i muttered pushing steve over.

"my friend rodrick?" darry asked and i nodded,"he's already got a date kiddo."

i groaned,"not my rodrick!"

"hey it's okay," soda comforted," i'll take you. remember i promised?"

i put my head on the table and groaned again. "soda i don't want go with you," i realized how harsh that sounded and i felt really bad.

"w-why not?" he asked a hurt.

"no, no. it's not that i don't want to, i just- i- can't," i sighed,"i cant go with you, people already think that i date you, or steve. if i go with one of you that just confirms that i'm dating you."

"that's true people do think that," dally added.

"well," soda started," we can go as friends, and we can make it very clear that that's all that we are."

"yeah," two-bit laughed," we'll stick a label on your clothes that say 'just friends'"johnny smirked and laughed at his joke.

"yeah yeah," i glared at two-bit,"sure soda. i'll go i guess."

"yes!" pony yelled and we all stared at him," i-i mean, this was a better love story than one of
my books."

"correction pony," johnny smarted," a FRIEND story."

"oh hush it," i jokingly gave him a light shove.

"are you sure you don't want to go ask him to dance? i'm sure he could spare one for you," soda asked putting his coat over me. i didn't notice what soda did, i had been shivering.

soda was so kind, and he truly cared for me.

"soda, i think you need to spare a dance for me," i said standing up and grabbing his hands.

"all these girls flocking around you and you keep turning them down, why?" i asked him as i slowly pulled him to the dance floor, i kept eye contact with him as i did.

"because, i came with you, and i think it would be rude to go off with other girls," he said avoiding eyes contact.

i pulled him to me and i wrapped his arms around me. i placed my arms around his shoulders and i forced him to look into my eyes," is that really why?"

he didn't answer, he just stared at my lips. he looked back into my eyes and shook his head.

"then why soda?" i asked him, knowing the answer.

he didn't respond, he just crashed his lips into mine. after we pulled away from the kiss i laid my head against his chest and felt the vibration as he hummed to the song playing.

i was perfectly fine with being more than friends with sodapop curtis. i now knew that.