•SODAPOP•

a soft tapping noise was coming from my window seal and it disturbed my sleep. i lifted my head up and turned my lamp on to see my best friend sodapop curtis standing outside my window.

this was a classic boy next door move, even better that he was the boy next door. i opened the window.

"can i get a hand?" he asked giving me a million dollar smile.

"nope," i said shutting the window and sticking my tongue out at him. he jokingly flipped me off and i acted hurt.

i opened my window again and helped him inside. me and soda have been best friends since birth. he always thought he was breaking the rules by 'sneaking in' when really my parents liked when he stayed with me.

they knew that he stayed with me sometimes because they caught him in my bed one morning, they thought it was cute that stayed with me.

he had been doing this ever since we were nine, one time i had a nightmare and i had all my lights on. him living in the room right across from me saw that i was awake and he tapped on my window. me being the paranoid kid i was jumped about five feet in the air.

wondering what monster could be waiting to eat me i carefully opened the window and in came soda. i gave him a big hug and told him how bad he had scared me. back then he was not much taller than me, but now he had a good few inches on me.

he had promised that night that he would protect me from anything that would harm me, and he always did. from bullies, to snake and spiders soda was there to save me.

that night he cuddled me and ever time i got scared he would make up some far fetched fantasy about how we could fight off the monster. he was the best friend i could ever ask for.

"ugh, your all muddy!" i whisper yelled at him as he tracked mud on my floor.

"sorry," he muttered kicking his shoes off.

"oh your gonna be, i'll get you back for it," i muttered giving him a hug.

here we stood nineteen years old, both in the same room, keeping the same traditions.

he hugged me back,"what's on your mind soda?"

he sighed,"darry and pony. they're always arguing nowadays, they never seem to like each other anymore."

i sat him down on my bed and rubbed up and down his back,"i think that darry just has a lot on his plate right now, and pony is still a kid, he wants to have fun. but then again darry is still young as well, maybe not a kid, but he missed out of it you dig?"

soda smiled sadly and looked at me,"i wonder how many past lives you've had, your too wise to just have this life."

i smiled and pulled his coat off, i discarded it over in the corner,"i've had four."

"oh yeah?" he asked laying back on the pillows.

"yeah." i said climbing under the covers next to him.

"hmm," he said opening his arms for me to lay in,"i believe you."i smiled as he wrapped his arms around me, loosely.

"ten years later and we are still the same people," i whispered, sleep slowly taking me away.

"snuggle buddies," he whispered back, half asleep.