She's Cleaning Out the Closets

Ally loves Texas because it’s everything she’s ever known.

She lived in a very conservative part of Laredo her whole life, but when her father got transferred to a branch out in Travis County, she lost sight of the Texas she had become so familiar with.

Going to high school in East Austin was an eye-opening experience.

She’s a senior, so she was bummed out about the prospect of moving, but with such a friendly atmosphere around her, she’s surprised at how much happier she is here than at her previous school.

Barton High was treating her nicely, and that’s all she could really ask for.

“We’re really into school spirit here. I don’t know why, though. Our mascot is so lame.”

Normani is a beautiful, dark-skinned, blue-haired human, and Ally is immediately fond of her. She was the senior assigned to show Ally around, and she’s doing a great job of making her feel comfortable.

“What’s the mascot?” Ally asks as she extends her short strides to match Normani’s long ones.

“Barton Blue’s,” she rolls her eyes. “Not even an animal or natural disaster, just a color. And not even a happy one! I guess that’s what we get for being a successful music school.”

Normani smiles at Ally and directs her to her blue locker. “Yours isn’t all that far from mine. I’ll walk you to your first class, how does that sound?”

“Perfect.”

Ally looks at her combination on a slip of paper and tries it as Normani walks a couple lockers down to her own. Ally gets it down her second time around, and she smiles triumphantly, teeth shining brilliantly under the fluorescent lighting of the hall.

It’s still dark outside, and Ally thinks that the time Barton’s first bell rings should be pushed back a bit, but since she’s up before the sun most days, it’ll be a new time she cherishes.

She startles when a pretty girl in a short, black skirt and black crop top starts singing to the tune of her friend’s guitar. She’s wearing black boots and bouncing around joyfully, her straight, brown hair jumping with her. She’s walking alongside a tall boy, a brunette with choppy hair, and they sing loudly—without a care. Ally can’t look away.

Come on feel the noize, girls rock your boys, we’ll get wild, wild, wild.

The boy continues where she left off. “Wild, wild, wild.

Ally thinks they’d make a cute couple, and wonders if every student at this school is as good-looking as those she’s encountered.

“Ready?” Normani approaches her and smiles encouragingly. Ally feels ready to take on the world if she had to.

She’s glad she just has to take on Calculus.

“Ready as I’ll ever be!”

“So, lucky for you, all your classes except two are on the same hall.”

Ally nods and takes note of the classroom numbers. She’s walking a bit behind Normani, and she stops when the blue-haired girl goes to hug an even taller beauty. She has attractively dyed locks under a gray snapback, and a smile to die for.

She turns towards Ally smoothly after releasing Normani. “Yo, I’m Dinah.”

“I’m Ally. Nice to meet you.”

Dinah flips her hair. “It is, isn’t it?”

Normani smacks her arm lightly. “Excuse her ego. She’s always eaten for two.”