My Little Girl

Lauren has always and will always been very protective of the ones she loves. She will tear you apart if you hurt them and God have mercy on your soul if you make them cry. Especially if they are her wife and daughter. Those two, she is, especially protective of.

One normal day, she gets off early from work and decides that she’ll pick up her daughter so she doesn’t have to take the cramped bus that she always complains about—I want a car. When am I getting a car?—and perhaps they’ll get a frozen yoghurt on the way, she loves them so much and Lauren feels like they haven’t spent much time together lately. What with Lauren being awfully busy with work and x, her daughter, being busy with school and her group of friends.

Yes, today, Lauren will spend her day with Valentina. She’s on the phone with her wife, Camila, listening to her complain about her rude boss as she pulls up in front of the school.

“Ok, babe, I’m at the school now just in time,” Lauren says as she hears the bell ring and in a few minutes, high school kids are pouring out of the school. She scans the crowd for her daughter, trying to remember what she was wearing this morning when she finally catches sight of her.

She is shocked when Valentina walks out of the school hand in hand with a boy. She stares wide-eyed at her teenage daughter blush and make eyes at the boy she’s holding hands with. The boy looks a couple of years older, probably a senior and while that rings warning bells in Lauren’s head, what truly has her worried is the boy’s appearance; dark leather jacket, ripped jeans, tattoos and is that a cigarette?

Lauren feels faint.

She gasps, “Oh my God!”

“What? What is it?” Lauren had completely forgotten that Camila was on the line.

“It’s…it’s Valentina!” Lauren exclaims, sounding horrified.

“What? Is she alright? What happened? Lauren?” Camila sounds almost panick-stricken with worry.

“She’s with some boy!” Lauren stares at them as they walk away from the school together.

“Lauren!”Camila snaps, “I thought something bad happened to her. So what if she’s with a boy!”

“They’re holding hands!”

“Oh, she’s gotten a boyfriend?” Camila sounds excited and it’s simply beyond Lauren why.

“He has tattoos and he looks like bad news and—oh my God!” Lauren shrieks terrified when the boy mounts a motorcycle and her sweet daughter crawls in right behind him. She faintly hears Camila call her name but she’s already sprung out of the car, racing towards the motorcycle with all her might.

“Valentina! Valentina!” She screams as she runs towards them, the kids jumping aside to avoid getting mauled down by this crazy, screaming lady. Valentina doesn’t hear her over the roar of the motorcycle and Lauren has to watch her nightmare unfold before her, Valentina speeding away on the back of a motorcycle with a boy Lauren doesn’t know.

She is this close to actually fainting on the spot.

+++++

Lauren called Valentina while racing home like a madwoman and nearly had a heartattack when she didn’t take it on the first ring.

“Hi mom,” the girl said cheerily when she took it on the last call.

“Where are you?” Lauren hisses, feeling the stress seeping into her hairroots, turning them gray.

“Um…home, why?”

“Stay there! I’m coming!” Lauren hangs up and it’s a miracle how she doesn’t get into a car accident with the reckless way she drives. She reaches home and pulls into the driveway of their nice little two-story house and marches inside.