Chapter 31

That summer started out very nice. We went to Tami Hill a few times. It was a place that we could all go swimming and we could cook out.

At home I did dishes most of the time, but I didn't mind. Chloe and Momma cooked a lot. I'd help sometimes, but I didn't know very much. But I started learning. We were all happy. Everything was nice.

Sometimes Matt would work the late shift. Me and Momma would stay in her room and watch movies. It was just me and her. We would laugh and talk about stuff. We would just have a good time. I was her little special girl.

Since it was summer, Momma always wanted to do yard work. She just wanted to make everything look nice. Chloe and Max didn't like doing the yard work, so it was left up to me to help. But we enjoyed it. Some days we'd have Max help anyway despite his protests.

When I went to buy groceries with her, we would go to Publix. We would get some sushi or we would get a jar of olives. We loved to eat it together. I thought those days would last forever. I was so very happy.

As time went on, Momma and Matt started having more and more arguments. It didn't bother me that much, until one night while I was sleeping...

Everything was black. I started hearing a voice from out of the darkness. It grew louder and louder. I started growing more and more conscience. I stretched in my bed and pulled the covers back over my shoulders. Suddenly I heard glass breaking in the kitchen. My eyes flung open as I jumped up in my bed. I could feel my face go read as I started shaking. I could feel my heart pounding so hard in my chest.

"Matt, stop it!" Momma pleaded

"You're such a _____ Selena, I can't stand you!"

What are they fighting over? This don't happen! They ain't supposed to fight!

I felt myself shaking still. They don't fight like this. I heard more glass breaking followed by Momma threatening him.

"Selena, I ain't scared of the likes of you, you cain't do ____ to me."

Then I heard another crashing of glass followed by Matt hollering out in pain.

"I _______ hate you! You like throwin' plates? Ok, fine then."

I run back to my bed and laid back down squeezing my eyes shut with my fingers in my ears, trying to not listen. Not wanting to hear anymore yelling. Trying not to hear anything else break.

I want my Daddy. I want to sleep again. I don't want to hear anymore. Why can't they get along again? Make the yelling stop... Just go away. Go away. Go away. Go away. Please just let me sleep...I don't want to hear anymore. I started imagining myself at home with Daddy. Sleeping in my old bed. Just in the quiet. Just more quiet... Everything started fading away as I drifted back into my dreamless sleep again.