Chapter 52

"I don't know what to do," Momma said. Chloe crossed her legs and rubbed her head. 

"What do you mean you don't know what to do Momma?" Chloe snapped. "He hits you. He could have killed Raven or Max. You need to leave him. He ain't good for you!" 

Momma nods as if the words are actually getting through to her but I know they are not. She is just pretending to listen. She doesn't care. She never cares. 

Max sits down in the hallway next to me. Momma and Chloe have been talking for an hour now, but it seems like it isn't going anywhere. She has been debating what to do with Matt for days now. 

"What did she say?" Max whispers. 

"Chloe told her the same thing Sierra did." Sierra, Momma's AA sponsor came over a few days ago after the incident with Matt. She told Momma that she need to divorce Matt.  She even stayed the night but left that morning.

"Are you listening to me?" Chloe cried. "He could have hurt your children."  Chloe motions to the hallway.

We are supposed to be in bed, but neither of us could sleep. Max and I needed to hear it from the horses mouth. We need to hear Momma say it out loud.

"He said he was sorry Chloe. He was just upset," Momma tried to explain. 

Chloe's shoulders dropped. She closed her eyes and turned away from Momma. Obviously trying to hide the hurt in her eyes. 

"He's not sorry Momma. How many times has he told you that?" 

"What do you know!" Momma snaps.

Chloe doesn't say anything. She lets Momma compose herself before she speaks again. 

"If you let him come back," she pauses," I'm leaving." She shook her head. "I can't do this anymore Momma. It's me or him." Chloe got to her feet and left the room. She didn't even look at us as she made her way to her room. 

"She wouldn't," Max whispered. "She wouldn't move out. Would she?" His eyes met mine. Desperately searching for reassurance. 

"I don't know." I said. My eyes darting from him to Chloe's door. Would she really leave us?